Saturday, April 30, 2005

Just the Two of Us

wolf cake

This cake is from last year's birthday for my daughter's 13th party. Last year wolves, this year Brad Pitt. Hmmm. Something about boys (men) and wolves. It happens so quickly sometimes.

My daughter's antics on the field trip to Washington D.C. were typical of the young teenagers of America. They were four to a motel room. Laughing, giggling running from room to room. The chaperones ended up putting a piece of duct tape across their room door. Not enough to make a fire hazard. (I was quick to quiz my daughter on this practice). She said no, just one strip across the door. I told her she should have listened to the adults and stayed put.

Not like the years before when the boys in one room decided they were going to smoke cigarettes. They dismantled the smoke alarm, but the sprinklers went off, thus flooding the entire hallway on that floor. I am surprised they still do the field trips. One boy jumped from one moving up escalator to the one moving down in another year's trip. Last year one boy became dehydrated and was rushed to the emergency room. The year of the terrorist attacks, they cancelled the trip.

My daughter said that the phones and t.v. were supposed to have been removed or disabled, not the case. They had access to both. And, HBO. (yikes).

Between Arlington cemetery, the Capitol building, the Smithsonian Institute, the Vietnam War Veterans Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, National Archives (had to skip, security said NO), and Union Station; what was my daughters' favorite thing? The subway. That's right, the subway. She was so excited to ride the subway. We have nothing like that here in rural Ohio. We drive everywhere. Our town doesn't even have a bus terminal.

She said that she and her friend kept losing their balance. I myself, have never been on a subway train. I might get claustrophobic. My daughter said she did, a bit.

Coming from the speakers: Just the Two of Us by Bill Withers.

2 comments:

boabhan sith said...

beautiful cake!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I can print any picture and take it in to this bakery in town and they will create an edible picture on the cake. Well, maybe not X-rated ones. I have always been happy with their work.