
Along on my side road visit a couple of weeks ago, I came across this old abandoned house. I had to take it's picture. It seemed so forlorn. Perhaps it is indicative of the economy in the midwest. The parts that the politicians don't see. Or, maybe the family moved out because of all the land stripping that was going on all around it.
Too tired to experiment with any html on this blog site. I have my personal web page up and running. I have been throwing stuff out on it. Here is the URL if anyone wants to take a peek. Although it may be redundant for some of you: http://users.adelphia.net/~mgwine/
My daughter and the entire eighth grade class goes to Washington D.C. tomorrow. I have a 4:30 a.m. wake-up call. They have to be at the school between 5:15 and 5:30. Three days away from home. My niece has been spending a lot of time with her beau, so that means "me" time. I guess I will work on my new addiction. Mentioned above.
I am going to go off on a tangent here. Just some of my personal rambling thoughts. I don't want to complain, just state the facts and my personal opinion on the matter at hand. Being a woman and a single Mom, I try to be careful about taking time off and using my child as an excuse. We have at work what is the equivalent of an electronic "in-out" board. We log in and we can see where every co-worker is at any given time. If they keep the board updated. I see a couple of parents stating "Stephen is sick" if they are taking a sick day. Do they need to put that on there? Not in my opinion. A sick day is a sick day regardless of who needs to have the day off.
Now, when my daughter was young and did not need to be at school until 8:45 a.m. and I start work at 8:00 a.m., you bet your sweet bippy I went out and found me a caretaker that would make sure she got to school on time. I would drop her off at around 7:30 and get my ass to work. That is what I felt was my responsibility as a working human being.
I have a co-worker. He has it pre-arranged that he gets his kids on the school bus and comes in to work later. Now, it was never posted in any memo or what-not. I heard from a co-worker that this is the arrangement that he has. I would imagine that he makes up by working over some evenings, I don't know. I don't pay that much attention after hours. I do look at the in-out board in the mornings, so that I know if I need to call someone, if they are out sick or not. I have noticed that he posts In at @8:30 or something to that effect.
Granted, I never asked for any special privileges. How luxurious that would have been. I didn't feel that it was fair to my co-workers (some who are also single parents who began work at 7:30 a.m.) and never asked for any special handling. I also have this feeling that if a job sets your hours you abide by them. Now, if the job itself needed him to be there later in the evenings, I would completely understand. Not the case.
I don't think it is his special hours that bother me as much as the organization makes no mention of it to the fellow employees. Or any reasoning about it. Sometimes, I just wonder.
Coming from the speakers: Little Pink Houses by John (can we still say Cougar?) Mellencamp.
2 comments:
I stayed home when my children were young...we could barely afford that, but I did. Anyway, when I went back to work about two years into my new job my boss had a baby. She proceeded to work only 4-5 hours a day as she said she was taking "comp time" or had lots of "use or loose leave." This went on for over a year while her boss (also a woman) looked the other way. I wished I had known that BS can provide you time with your kids. Boy, was I resentful!
Just amazing. It never ceases to amaze me the audacity that some people have. I imagine these people to think of themselves as "above the law" in certain situations like missing the exit on the freeway and they turn around at an illegal u-turn. (In Ohio it is illegal). Why should they have to drive to the nearest exit and turn around? The laws don't pertain to them. Same people probably park in the handicap spaces at the mall.
Post a Comment