Monday, April 04, 2005

Yesterday, when I was young

kuddles

Here I am in 1968 with my Mom, five of my siblings and my very, very close pal "Kuddles". He was a stuffed gray mouse that I carried with me everywhere. Who knows what happened to him.

This picture was taken somewhere on the Virginia border. We went to Virginia Beach a couple of times during the summer between school years. I remember the beach, the ocean, the motels, the pools, and the sunburns. Oh, and throwing up in the car.

My family was so big we always took two cars on vacation. Nobody wanted to ride in the same car with me, because that was the car that had to stop to let me throw up. Often. (Sigh) I'm sorry!

I ended up moving to the Virginia Beach area for a few years in my twenties. It didn't hold the same appeal. The beach had gone downhill and the new place to go for vacation was Myrtle Beach. I hear that Va Beach has vastly improved again. It was quite the party town in the 80's. The entire time I lived there, I think I may have gone to the beach five times. And three of those times were when relatives came to visit.

1968. That was before Jaws. When it was still safe to go into the water. Before I knew about sharks. My brother did cut up a dead stingray on the beach near our motel one year, though. He wanted the stingers. He got them. Two of them. They looked like little serrated bones.

Ahh, good times. The worst thing that I ever had to worry about was if I would get a window seat and how to make my sunburns stop hurting.

My daughter gets her stitches out for her latest mole removal tomorrow. Doctor wants to talk to me. They didn't get all of this last one. They will have to go back in. Great. How many more? Six, seven surgeries? This mole was downgraded to mild nevus dysplastia. From moderate to mild. Is that supposed to make me feel better? When there are six or so more to be removed? Will the next one be back up to moderate? Will it be mild? What is above moderate? Elevated? Severe? My stomach is starting to hurt.

I don't want to do this anymore.

You don't? What about your daughter? Suck it up! Don't you go wimping out on your little girl! She is the one who is going through the real pain! You whiny little baby! Quit your belly achin'!


Coming from the Speakers: Seven Bridges Road by The Eagles

3 comments:

slyboots2 said...

Hiya- I was paging through blogs and found yours. Last year I had a melanoma removed from my back- I'm a pasty white chick who grew up at a high altitude- in the 70's... Anyway- luckily they got it all. But it was scary. My main reason for telling you this is that my Mom was there for it all. Surgery, etc. She was there when I woke up. It made all the difference in the world. My husband was supportive- but my Mother's touch made it all feel much more ok. You can do this! And your daughter will always be grateful for your strength and support. Hope you don't think my commenting is creepy- not my intention. Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone out there! And strangers can send you happy thoughts!

Peruby said...

Sly,

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I know my daughter is getting tired of the many trips north for this surgery. We both want all of this behind us.

Tabor said...

I am so sorry for your little gal. Give her hugs from all your blog buddies!