
It was a full moon on Saturday? If you believe that is a full moon, I have some ocean-front property in Ohio I'd like to sell you. Hee.
There is something magical about an indigo sky with park lights twinkling and the carnival in the background. You get caught up in the atmosphere. The noises of the beeping horns from the little rides and laughter and shrieks of the children. (And some adults) The smell of caramel and cotton candy. Older folks sitting on the park benches watching the people. This park used to have a small roller coaster. I am not sure if it is still running or not.
My daughter called me at work the other day. She said that Jasper (our black and white cat) was going crazy running from window to window. When she got up to look outside she saw a tiny black kitten running down our front sidewalk. Our front yard faces the road. So what would you do? Of course she ran outside. When she peered in the bushes a mommy cat ran away. As if telling her babies "You're on your own." My daughter counted four kittens. They scattered when she pushed the bushes aside. She managed to catch a gray one. He was so scared. She tried to calm him down but he was having none of it. He scampered off. We have never seen them again.
I told her there are so many in the world. I know I can't afford any more. I would love to find them all good homes, but the vet bills are just too high for me. I am struggling to do right by the ones that I do take care of. The bird has never been to the vet. Nor the mouse. I do take the dog and the cats. Every time I turn around one or the other needs their booster shot or their heart worm medicine. Sigh. We do have a cat shelter in town. The last time I visited they were looking pretty bad. They were all sneezing and oozing. There was hand sanitizer everywhere. I became sick to my stomach.
Later that evening I took my daughter and her boyfriend to the mall to purchase her new bathing suit for summer. She got one for her birthday in April, but decided it didn't fit right. She scurried off to the dressing rooms while I waited in the store. I browsed around and ran into my niece. She was also shopping for a new suit. We chatted a while, caught up on things. The boyfriend took off for another part of the mall. I saw the store clerk hand my daughter some other "black" suits over the top of dressing room door number 2. That was nice of her.
There is something magical about an indigo sky with park lights twinkling and the carnival in the background. You get caught up in the atmosphere. The noises of the beeping horns from the little rides and laughter and shrieks of the children. (And some adults) The smell of caramel and cotton candy. Older folks sitting on the park benches watching the people. This park used to have a small roller coaster. I am not sure if it is still running or not.
My daughter called me at work the other day. She said that Jasper (our black and white cat) was going crazy running from window to window. When she got up to look outside she saw a tiny black kitten running down our front sidewalk. Our front yard faces the road. So what would you do? Of course she ran outside. When she peered in the bushes a mommy cat ran away. As if telling her babies "You're on your own." My daughter counted four kittens. They scattered when she pushed the bushes aside. She managed to catch a gray one. He was so scared. She tried to calm him down but he was having none of it. He scampered off. We have never seen them again.
I told her there are so many in the world. I know I can't afford any more. I would love to find them all good homes, but the vet bills are just too high for me. I am struggling to do right by the ones that I do take care of. The bird has never been to the vet. Nor the mouse. I do take the dog and the cats. Every time I turn around one or the other needs their booster shot or their heart worm medicine. Sigh. We do have a cat shelter in town. The last time I visited they were looking pretty bad. They were all sneezing and oozing. There was hand sanitizer everywhere. I became sick to my stomach.
Later that evening I took my daughter and her boyfriend to the mall to purchase her new bathing suit for summer. She got one for her birthday in April, but decided it didn't fit right. She scurried off to the dressing rooms while I waited in the store. I browsed around and ran into my niece. She was also shopping for a new suit. We chatted a while, caught up on things. The boyfriend took off for another part of the mall. I saw the store clerk hand my daughter some other "black" suits over the top of dressing room door number 2. That was nice of her.
My niece went on her way. I roamed around some more. Man, this girl was taking forever. I thought I had better go and see if she were okay, see if she needed anything. Maybe something broke and she couldn't come out . I forgot that she had her cell phone with her.
I walked back and tapped on door number 2. Can you tell where this is going? I said "Honey, are you okay in there?" No answer. I tried to peek under the door. Was my daughter trying on flip flops? She is a tennis shoe girl. Before I could say anything more I heard a voice behind me "Mom, over here." I looked up. My daughter and her boyfriend were standing at the counter checking out. I smiled weakly. We got out of there before the flip flop girl came out. She may have been afraid to come out, I don't know. My daughter was laughing pretty hard. Sigh. Yet another one to live down.
2 comments:
Funny story. Could have happened to any mom with a teenager. I also liked the imagery in your description of the carnival night.
I have three mother cats right now, each with their litters of kittens. They are so cute and I would love to take one for inside to raise, but I will let those go and wait for another opportunity like a pet shop or in the newspaper. Our mother cats are wonderful mothers. I wish some human mothers would take note how good cats are in taking care of their babies.
I had to look at my calendar about the full moon. Looks like one is coming Sunday the 11th. Guess I have to check my broom and make sure it's working OK because I get a little weird when there's a full moon.
Post a Comment