Thursday, June 15, 2006

As plain as the...



...mono on your nucleosis!

As God is my witness, I swear I did not know that a skin rash was a symptom of mononucleosis. Throw the antibiotics away. Mono is a viral disease. It must run it's course. The victim is not a prisoner of their bed like years ago, they have few restrictions. If you are tired - sleep, if you feel like doing something - go do it. Just don't over do it. No sharing drinks or kissing. I told her beau that they should just hug for a while. I also called his Mom so that he can be tested.

The really unusual thing is, if the patient is treated with an antibiotic for strep throat and it is mono, they will break out in a skin rash most of the time. Strange way to test for mono, but it worked. Now the blood work tomorrow to clinch it. But, it all makes sense. I was thinking "mono" on the way to the doctor's office today.

To make matters worse, the nurse at the doctor's office that came to take blood was the same one we complained about five years ago when she jabbed my daughter with the needle when giving her a shot. No warning, no gentleness - just a punch in the arm. My daughter's eyes got wide and well, that was a long time ago. I was not impressed. The girl couldn't draw the blood. She was nervous and pricked my daughter three times. Her veins collapsed because she was dehydrated. Just for the record I have 48 bottles of various drinks in the house just for her. No soda, it is all Gatorade and fruit juices. She was supposed to be drinking and drinking and drinking. I said to forget it we would go to the hospital and have the blood work done. The nurse did keep apologizing.

My daughter was not a happy camper. We had a therapy session directly after the doctor's visit. At least she didn't go into her usual dramatics there about boyfriend/grades/attitude.

It is going to be a long summer and when the fall comes we get to go and get her driving permit! Hurray! Hurray!

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

What a relief for you knowing what it is. I have never dealt with mono or known anyone that had it.

Tabor said...

I wonder if you can develop a resistance to mono since it usually runs the rounds amoung college freshmen.