Monday, June 26, 2006

Ferris Wheel Accident



Ferris Wheel at our Park.

I had posted on June 13th, that I did not trust this Ferris Wheel. I had seen too many rescues in the newspaper. Well, at around 9 p.m. Sunday evening one of the "gondolas" locked up and turned two young children upside down and dumped them out. The boy caught onto one of the gondolas beneath him, but the little girl fell straight down 25 feet. They were visiting from Florida. They life flighted her to Akron's Children hospital and took the boy by ambulance to Akron hospital. The last I heard she had a broken femur. She is one lucky little girl if that was all she had. Here is the story in our local newspaper.

Edit: Last heard she has two broken legs and the boy possibly lunged inside the gondola causing it to upset (more than likely he fell against one side if it was locked up).

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Am I understanding it right that the boy didn't stay seated and caused that to happen? Wow, the little girl is 4 and she plunged to the ground. That's just so horrible.

Peruby said...

Today's paper makes it even more of a mystery. The boy is 7, the girl is 5. They will interview the children and witnesses. Nobody knows for sure what happened, yet. Ride inspectors are puzzled as to how the gondola could have flipped upside down. These cages are heavy, I doubt that a 7-year old could flip it by himself.