Saturday, June 03, 2006

Drops and DOS



Above photo was a shot after a downpour. It is one of my pink peonies. I zoomed in, added some bubbles from Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album to enhance the raindrops and flipped it upside down.

I ran into an previous co-worker last evening at Wal-Mart. His wife works at one of my schools. We were laughing about the "computer world." I said after 20 years with the microcomputer (five years more with mainframes) I was rethinking my vocation. We figured I had too many years in to change, now. He laughed and said "I remember when you used to come up (I am always in a basement except for current job) and help me with my Windows." I said "Was it Windows back then?" He said "We were just switching from DOS to Windows." Sigh. I can still remember the first Windows manual I read. Windows 3.0 - next came 3.1. Next was Windows 95. That is when I left the company where I worked with this co-worker and moved on to work with the schools.


I can recall during the transition between jobs I posted signs up all around the area stating "I do Windows and you can too!" When I thought I could train people how to work in Windows. What a laugh! I never went back and tore signs down so fast in my life. After a couple of months of pulling my hair out I had to get an un-listed phone number. Live and learn.

I have come to the conclusion that beyond your basic instructional classes in a certain computer program, if you don't have the aptitude for using a computer, more than likely a person can't teach it to you. In my case anyway. Kind of like driving a car. You just gotta get behind the wheel and get the feel of the vehicle yourself. People can give you pointers, but pretty much the experience and learning is up to you. And the more you use it, the better you will become.

I have to laugh at myself in hindsight. Think about trying to teach somebody how to drive a car. You are sitting in the passenger seat, they are behind the wheel of the vehicle. It isn't a sixteen year old. This is an older, more mature person who wants to learn about these newfangled things. And you are supposed to teach them. Except with computers, there were no highway laws or rules or even seatbelts! The road was wide open. There were no explanations for the roads, the road signs or the places you go. You had to try and explain this to the driver as you go. Why is this turn here? Why do I have to stop and let somebody else go? The questions were endless. There were no guard rails or traffic lights. Yeah, it was kind of like that. Pretty scary stuff. I'm damn lucky to be alive.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Your analogy is really terrific. I can just see the young enthusiastic you teaching a non-user/non-driver. I taught volunteer classes of teachers about the Internet after school hours one year. That at least was a little rewarding.

Peruby said...

Tabor - I would love to help educate the community on the dangers of the Internet as well as the good. Every establishment wants to charge, though.I will keep looking.

PS - thanks for the tip on Vitamin E. I will try it. And I will get some doggy treats to keep at work for Earl He is a sweetie. Good idea!

Tilly said...

Thank you so so much, peruby, for your comment on my Photo Friday picture- you really did make my day =)

Your peonie picture is wonderful- so similar to my own peonies in my back yard, but i do wonder if they are a signal for the heavens to open -we've had spendid weather for a couple of weeks and plenty of buds showing on my ever growing peonies- only the second they begin the open the rains come.. they fill up, fade from the richest of pinks to washed-out baby pink and then bow their heads to the ground under the weight- so sad =(

I'm hoping to become a regular Friday Photo'er now i've dipped my toes in so i really do appreciate your comments- a much needed confidence booster =))

I hope this finds you well
Tilly