Friday, October 22, 2004

EBCDIC, anyone?


This photo brings back so many memories. The year was about 1989 - 1990. I was the PC Specialist in a Unix/Linc/A-Series environment. The reason I left this job was because they refused to network their pc's together. I was one person. I had 70 Windows machines and 12 Macintosh. I think it was Classic II's back then. When macs were all one piece (monitor and hard drive combined). Each end user had their own printer. Okidata 393 Plus. Most users had their own laser jet printer. I even connected some Applewriters to the Windows machines. Interesting.

Conversion of EBCDIC to ASCII hell. This is where I cut my teeth on serial ports. Most end users today don't even know what the com port is used for. There was a time when I wouldn't have ordered a PC, unless it had two com ports. They don't know how good they have it with USB.

9600, 8 none 1 - I know it as well as I know my abc's.

The picture shows our glass enclosed area. We had a raised floor. We had halon setup for fire control. I don't mind telling you that shit scared the hell out of me. I worked the afternoon shift back then and I worked mostly by myself. I was petrified that system was going to go off. Don't get me started on thunderstorms and blackouts. This department had no windows. We were in the basement.

I was in charge of the mainframe backups. This left me time to work my magic on the pc's. And the Unisys 6000. After I got real good with the pc's they moved me to dayshift so I could be available to the end users. What a delight that was! Yeah, right! Most of us PC people are anti-social, nocturnal, introverts. Leave us alone! Ah, glory days for sure.

No comments: