Sunday, October 24, 2004

Cloudy Saturday


I was able to retake some fall pictures. The sun wasn't shining, so the colors aren't as vibrant. I have a dam near me and it was difficult to get pics that didn't have the cement or wires in view. I just wanted nature.

I was able to get a good bit of yard work done this week-end. I even scooped leaves while it was raining. I really like the smell of wet leaves when they are fresh. Not after they have sat in a pile or in a bag for a few days. They especially smell bad once they get wet and then rot in the hot sun.

It may be past the color stage to go back to the lake I was at a few weeks ago. I will aim for pumpkin patches. I plan to go to one tomorrow to prepare for the party on Saturday night. My daughter is having a few friends over. They are too old to trick-or-treat. I plan to have them paint pumpkin faces. Safer than carving them. Can you imagine 10 thirteen-year-olds with knives? Not the way I want to spend my Saturday night. No siree.

October is closing fast. November was never one of my favorite months. I like September and October. I don't like August (too hot) and I don't care for November, December, January, February, or March. I can take or leave April. But, I do like May. I can take or leave June. July is too hot, also. I guess that makes September and October my favorite months. I guess you could say I like the fall (autumn).

I just found a community poll where 45% of the poll liked fall the best, 25% liked spring, 20% summer and 10% winter. I would imagine that if you like winter sports like skiing, then winter would probably be your favorite. Same with water sports or sunbathing. Maybe hiking and boating and fishing are the fall sports. Hayrides, harvesting, and you can't forget football.


I think I will make round sugar cookies and ice them with orange icing. I put two m&m's on for eyes and about 5 for a smiling mouth. I will look for the mini m&m's. I haven't made pumpkin cookies in years. I used to make them a lot. My "significant other" liked them. We were living in Virginia, and I can recall looking all over the grocery store for a can of pumpkin.

If you are from the South or have ever lived there, you know that Sweet Potato Pie is the favorite over Pumpkin Pie. It was funny. I asked a stock boy where the canned pumpkin was, and he couldn't find any. He said why don't you just make a sweet potato pie. I said I was making pumpkin cookies and I had never heard of sweet potato cookies. By the way, I don't like the sweet potato pie. I am pumpkin all the way.

I like to ice them with cream cheese icing. Sometimes I put raisins in them. I will make sure I take plenty of pictures. I found some good treat ideas here. I really like the buckeyes dipped in white chocolate to look like eyeballs. Ewww.

No comments: