Friday, January 05, 2007

Lemon-lime twist


Using Photo Shop I twisted my fruits

I had one hellacious day at work. Many things went askew and I anticipated as much. The wiring closet that I worked in felt like the heat coming from a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven. Nothing worked. Nothing was ready. I was on the front line. I had to give the school the bad news. I said "Don't shoot the messenger."

I called my home office to see if they were taking a collection for my co-worker who had the heart attack and was in a Columbus hospital. My manager said "We have a meeting on the 19th, we can collect and do something then." WTF?!

I was angry. I called the hospital and they not only gave me his room number, but his phone number to the room, too. So much for HIPAA. I called the room and his wife answered. She said that he was on dialysis and could I call back this evening. I said "Of course." I hung up in shock. Dialysis? My office co-worker and I gave each other a worried look.

My office co-worker was angry with our home office personnel also. She said "It isn't like it is his father, it is him lying in the hospital!" I said, "I know. It's as if they don't recognize us as real co-workers since we don't work in the home office." After being there 11 years, it finally starts to sink in. It isn't going to change. It isn't going to get better. We will always be on the outside.

That evening I called back to Columbus. His wife gave me the details. No, his kidneys did not fail. They thought they did at first, but the dialysis was to filter the blood to make sure his kidneys were working properly. He has had Type I diabetes for years. He is just today becoming coherent since he was admitted to the hospital. He had a lot of sugar problems during the holiday and back pain. This is where his heart attack settled, in his back. Not his chest. He had been having a heart attack for about four to six days. He has a stent in place.

Over the past month, he had just moved his office from one location to another. He had to carry things down three flights of steps because the elevator was not working in the original building. He really overdid it.

The horrible part? I called another co-worker who worked in the office with him. This guy had been on vacation and I wasn't sure if he had heard the news or not. He also has had a heart attack. He said he was aware of what happened. Then the kicker. He said that one guy from the home office had come out to work with them and laughingly said "At the office we have bets on which one of you is going to end up in the hospital first!" I was horrified. What an ignorant thing to say. I wonder if he feels any remorse for what he said and now knowing what has happened.

I have to take a step back and not let that home office get under my skin again. When I was the only satellite office they would neglect to tell me when there was a Christmas party. They would take turns taking days off during the slow season (years ago) and never tell me. The first year I worked there, I was not included in the bonus handouts. (I did not find out about this until the following year). When I was by myself, I used to think that it was me. That I was too sensitive, that I was imagining things. When others came on board at satellite offices, I heard the same remarks from them. The frustration of being neglected and left out. The strange feeling of being left out of the loop. For about five years, I had one secretary clue me in on all the little extras that happened in the home office that my manager would neglect to tell me. I was astounded.

But, this has gone too far. When a co-worker is lying in a hospital bed, on a respirator, having dialysis and they "may" do something like send a card in two weeks? I am beginning a slow boil. I am going to let somebody have it. My office co-worker and I got a card and sent some money to the family. His wife is sleeping on the sofa in his hospital room and we felt that would be the best thing to do. Flowers are nice, but money can get you a tank of gas, a meal or some much needed rest.

I just can't believe my manager and home office. What is wrong with these people?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it really makes you stop and think: what is wrong with the people in this country? Nobody seems to care anymore. Everybody is out just for themselves it seems. But you did the right thing and knowing that you did is all that matters.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Peruby that you have to deal with such idiots in life. Do not let this make you cynical because you are a good worker and an insightful person. I have some idiots I work with as well and this year I finally admitted to myself that somethings are not going to change. So I have to make a plan on how I will deal with all in a healthy manner for the next two years. Still working on the plan.

Miki said...

Don't let them get to you. You are the better person for having sent the card and the cash. You are right, Flowers are nice, but cash can help the family when it is needed and where it is needed. Hope both of your coworkers get better soon, and don't let the idiots get to you, you don't need stress related health concerns due to the home office. Do what you feel is best and do what you know is right. That is the best and only what you can do.

Peruby said...

At our meeting on the 19th, if nobody in that home office has done a thing for my co-worker that is lying in the hospital they are going to get a piece of my mind. I hate to have to be like this, but something has to be said.