Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Baby, it's cold outside


View of a very cold lake

Driving back from our home office, I stopped by the lake thinking I could catch some of the beautiful sun rays streaming through a cloudy sky with the cold gray water. Not to be. I passed up the places that had a great view of the sky and ended up here where the sun barely shines. It was cold. The wind was wicked. I didn't stay long.

Here is my 2 cents worth of a subject titled "Management 101".

I have a co-worker who has been in neck/back/facial pain for 18 months. She has hopped from doctor to neurologist to chiropractor to dentist and back again. She asked my manager about new office chairs since he does most of the purchasing. He took us shopping last week and told us to try some chairs out at Office Max. We chose two - moderately priced. She lobbied for one for her shorter legs. I could have cared less. I picked out one in slate blue. I sat in it, felt good and I said "This one suits me."

My co-worker seemed excited about the chairs. I (having worked there for 11 years) told her not to hold her breath.

We received an e-mail from our new "director" and it was worded as such,

"Thing One and Thing Two, (not our real names)

We will order you a chair from this selection (she included a URL). If you want a more expensive chair, you will have to buy it yourself."

How I would have worded the e-mail had I been the manager,

"Thing One and Thing Two, (not our real names)

Unfortunately our budget will only allow us to order from this selection. I am hoping that one of the chairs listed here will suit your needs. Please choose a chair from the following link."

That is all she had to write. My co-worker was crushed. She cried and wanted to rant and write our "new" director a nasty e-mail about how much pain she is in and her chiropractor recommends that she get an ergonomic office chair. Boo Hoo. I just shrugged. Big deal.

I don't want anything above and beyond what my co-workers get. Not at all. I just want my fair share. As our "new" director was quoted as saying a month or so back, "It isn't about FAIR!" I guess not.

Let me remind you that this "new" director and my co-worker were the two that teased an older gentleman about him liking me a couple years back. Inside a school building, he was a widower and very much a gentleman. They said (so that he could hear) "Peruby, I think he is sweet on you!" I cringed in empathy for the older gentleman. He was too mannerly to let on that he heard them. I gave the both of them a mean, stern look. Sigh. Neither one has matured much, it is just that my co-worker has found out what a real snake our "new" director really is. I laugh in her face. I warned her as much years ago. She cries because she thought that this female (I can't call her a woman or a lady) was her friend.

You know what. There just isn't enough antacid to put up with this baloney. I thought I could deal with her being the "new" director, but it is going to take some major re-adjusting of my attitude and I am not sure that is possible. Like the old radio dials, it is way over on one side of the band and it is stuck there. Stripped. The knob turns and turns, but it no longer comes back to pick up any signals. Okay, you have to really understand the old radios to get that. I took one apart and looked at it when I was little.

Big breath. Breathe deep. Relax. Go to your happy place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Office politics...ya gotta love it.
When I am in my happy place I usually have a glass of wine in my hand.

Miki said...

Stay in the happy place, in your mind, when dealing with the office personel. I hated some of my "superiors" and liked some over the years, I loved some too! The consistent one was the "real" boss but her consistency was that she would smile while she was hugging you and stabbing you with the knife in your back. I found that most times it is easier, as a woman, to work for a man. They usually do what they do and don't try to be your friend about it. The everybody needs to like me syndrome isn't usually there, but whatever. I don't work now, and my kids do like me, and I try hard to be a good "domestic engineer." I don't like the work, most of the time, and hate the hours, but the rewards are there, and besides, I can't get fired for sleeping with the boss. Yeah, right , like he or me is the boss!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gee, I posted this same blog...but you can see I deleted it. No room for two of these. (Who gives birth to these losers and how do they get promoted?)