Monday, May 29, 2006

Hamburgers, hot dogs and ..... Hawk?


It was hot. How hot was it? So hot and hazy that a poor hawk slammed right into a transformer and shorted the electric out for about three seconds. He was fried.

I went to my brother's house for a cook-out today and some of us witnessed the ordeal just after he hit the pole. Flames, a popping sound and smoke. Dinner's ready!

My daughter and I had left our house and the electric had been off since noon. I was beginning to think maybe I was jinxing electricity today. We traveled to join some of the family in the Memorial day celebrations when this flying fiasco happened.

The electric company sent someone right out. My older sister happened to know him. He was good friends with her daughter and boyfriend. He was very accommodating and posed for me and even moved his bucket when I couldn't get a good shot of the bird.

More pictures of the event here.

And, I got to see the little chihuahua Brandi today. I checked. She was actually six ounces when they got her. She fit in a coffee cup. (Mental note to self. Do not drink coffee at brother's house!)

3 comments:

Tabor said...

This is just a little gross. I wonder why the hawk hit the transformer? I don't think that happens often.

Peruby said...

They think that perhaps it was hanging around waiting for a chance to get the little chihuahua. They had seen the hawk at other times circling around. Yikes.

Tabor said...

That makes sense. Predatory bird populations are growing and food supplies are probably getting scarce.