Sunday, May 21, 2006

Forgotten Iris


My Mom had purple Irises planted in our back yard. They were the deep wine purple ones though. I tend to like this color. A more lavender shade of Iris. I must get some this fall and plant them. I had forgotten how beautiful they are.

A lot of yard work this week-end and garage cleaning. And I am feeling the pain. I began Saturday morning with an old migraine reminder. The jagged aura that used to precede my attacks. I drove to the nearest gas station to get some gas for the lawn mower and I noticed while I was driving that certain spots of cars were missing. "Oh no." I thought. Not this. It must have been twenty years since I used to get the aura. I knew it when I saw it. Or didn't see it, in this case. Then the jagged lines started out the corner of my peripheral vision. Crud.

I carefully got the gas and drove back home. I didn't have any pain yet. I took a Relpax and two Advil. I put on my safety glasses and gloves and began to mow. I got really sick a couple of times feeling as if I were going to hurl, but then a beautiful cool breeze would come my way and it felt like bliss. I just went real slow and stopped a couple of times.

It is such a relief to have the medicine now. Prior to that I would have lost an entire day, possible the entire week-end. The grass would be knee high. That is the way it usually happened. Whenever I finally got the chance to do the much needed yard work, BAM - the migraine would hit me. It was such a life ruiner. The final straw came when my daughter and her friend played in the bedroom and I lay on the couch asking them not to make any noise. I had a cold wash cloth on my head, trying not to throw up and then it occurred to me. I may as well be a drunk on the couch.

I looked up a doctor the next day and hit the jackpot. I have never looked back. That was around 1997 or 1998. I have suffered from migraines since 1972. I really thought that the vision problems were over with. Twice in my life I have lost complete vision out of one eye. That is a strange incident, I want to tell you. If I closed my other eye, I could see absolutely nothing. It would only happen for about three minutes.

I also used to get the numbness in my fingers. Now I just get tingling in my head, near the crown. Like when somebody softly strokes your hair and it tingles. Kind of like that - but it isn't a good tingle. More like when your foot falls asleep and begins to wake back up tingle.

I don't see my doctor for six months since I just saw her two weeks ago. I'll probably forget to tell her about it by then.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Please don't forget to tell her, because these are important symptoms and as you notied there are breakthroughs and different treatments every day.

Miki said...

You should keep a journal of migranes and symptoms, and write down how many times that you need to take the meds. That way you will be able to tell the doc and know when and where the migranes begin.
Glad that you were able to get your yard work done, it must have been gratifying for you! We are still in the throes of redoing the kitchen, a daunting and insane task!