
I had a job scheduled in Coshocton county today. So, I decided to go west first through Amish country and then head south. And, I came back an even longer way. Fields of green, purple flowers dotting the roadside, horses grazing, cows chewing their cud, and what was that? Oh - manure. That wonderful springtime odor floating over the fields. Fertilizer. Ugh.
Roll up the window or keep taking pictures? I drew a big breath and muttered something under my breath about being a country girl - and to get over it. I took well over 250 pictures while out and about today. I again filled up my 512MB, 256MB and little 32MB CompactFlash cards again today. (I re-charged the battery at the school I worked at). So, I came home went straight to my computer and ordered 1 4GB CompactFlash memory hard drive and one extra Lithium battery. Nuff said!
Some of the back roads are very twisty and meander through some of the prettiest Amish countryside you ever would want to see. But it also has a downside. Trucks. Truckers trying to make up some time. Maybe they are attempting to by-pass the scales on the interstate. I don't know. But they were trying to crawl up my ass today. One was so close that when I saw an Amish bakery, I didn't dare brake suddenly for fear that he would do just that. I turned at the next road and went back. There I found one of the best cream sticks I have ever eaten. Melted in my mouth. I picked up a sprinkled donut for my daughter. Delicious.
I didn't see any horse and buggies today. Maybe they don't travel on Wednesdays. I did come across a couple of farm tractors on the road. That was fine by me as it gave me an excuse to slow the car down and get some really good shoulder shots. They turn off quickly though. The photo above was taken just after I waved to a farmer hand planting some seeds in a small garden. The sunshine through the trees are some of the best, though. I can't wait to get home and download the pictures to my computer to see what I shot. Since I am always driving, I don't get to do much looking so I figure my shoulder shots will show me what I miss. Man, I am missing a lot!
3 comments:
Ok, tecnical question. How much time is involved for an IT person in maintaining a UNIX server that gets back-up every night?
Great shots! Spring is a wonderful time of the year, too bad that the manure was out there for you! Sorry about the truckers too, they can be a tad more than obnoxious.
Tabor - that probably depends on how many clients (end users) the server serves and how many programs are running on the network.
That's a tough call without knowing what the server is doing. Is it a file server, an e-mail server, a web server or all three?
If one server is doing it all, then that could be a full time job just to make sure all of those services stay up and running smoothly.
Miki - Thanks. I try to stay out of their way. Most of the time I will pull off and let them pass. They have a job to do. The one on my tail was a pick-up though, not a commercial driver.
Post a Comment