Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Life of a Moonflower

Here is the flower bush. Moonflower (datura). Blooms at night. Lovely fragrance.



Starting out as a bud.




The bud opens and the flower begins to emerge.





In the late afternoon the flower is emerging and waiting for the cool evening.





As the night nears, it begins to unfurl.





It opens in all it's beautiful glory in the dark (or a very cloudy day).



When it is spent, it falls off and returns to the ground.



The Moonflowers were here when I came and they are wonderful. I have transplanted them into two other places in my yard and they do very well. They have a prickly seed in the fall that I collect and share with everyone that will take them.

My nephew told me that bats pollinate the night flowers. I didn't know that.

4 comments:

Miki said...

OOOOH! Send me some! They are beautiful flowers, glad that you kept them to share with us!

Tabor said...

It is my understanding that they are also poisonous in some way. I planted them on the side of my vegetable garden and they really took over. The fragrances is lovely in the early evening. It also attracts a very interesting moth at night.

Cheyenne said...

Glad you shared that because I've never heard of them.
So who sees them at night when they bloom?

Peruby said...

Miki - They are now one of my favorites.

Tabor - yes, they are an hallucinogen. Indians used them that way. There were poppies on the other side of the house which made me kind of wonder about the lady that was the previous owner. Just kidding! LOL!

Cheyenne - Sometimes I might come home late after a get together and see them. The smell is the best, though.