Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sunset through the Gables



Festival ride with gables.

While growing up I loved to read. I considered myself a voracious reader. One book that was required reading in high school was The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Now, I just did not get this book. I loved Poe, London, Melville, L.M. Alcott, J.F. Cooper, Crane, S.L. Clemens - and possibly other books by Hawthorne. But this gables one got the better of me. I never had such a hard time with a book. I've read some readers' view points and they said that you need to concentrate. That was probably something I didn't do a lot of while I was a sophomore in high school.

Some of my very favorites were Agatha Christie, Wilkie Collins and Jules Verne.

The above picture is not actually a ride but one of those big air mattress type structures that the kids kick off their shoes and jump up and down in. We used to call it the Moonwalk. Oh my gosh! I just found the same one on-line and they called it a moonwalk - gables and all! Seriously, you have got to love this Internet thing.

So, the fair in town is still going on. I haven't been there since my escapade on Friday night. I have possibly 30 people coming tomorrow to the cook-out. I am not at all nervous. Nope, not one little bit, I say as I bite off the last of my finger nails. The headache came when the weather turned nasty. We are under a severe weather watch, blah, blah, blah. Get the rain over with and let it be sunny and pleasant tomorrow for the fireworks display. If I am not too busy playing the hostest with the mostest I will try to get some pictures. I am not one to stick a camera in people's faces, though. I probably won't take many. Just the little ones who enjoy getting their pictures taken.

2 comments:

Miki said...

Have a fun day today Peruby! Enjoy spending time with all of those folks that are arriving, just do what you can, have them help, and all will be right! Marvel at the fireworks, they are really cool to sit and watch. Happy and safe 4th of July!

Tabor said...

Have a pleasant fourth, Peruby. Love the 'gables' photo.