Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Phase V of the room



July 18th - Phase V (temporary placement of furniture)

After waiting a couple of days, I finally allow furniture on the floor. I'll replace the striped blue blanket with a black rug of some sort and move the futon closer to the wall. The accent pieces strewn on the table and T.V. stand are going on the walls.

The next purchase will be a black comforter and black pillow cases. They will probably have a design on them. We are taking our time finding those. This photo does not show the black mushroom chair, black chalkboard wall or the wall of mirrors. More pics can be found here.

So, how does the old song go? "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong?" That is how I feel sums up the situation in the Middle East. Israel has a right to defend itself. Lebanon and the innocent civilians are caught in the crossfire.

I spoke with a lady working in a Career Center. Her son is finishing his last year majoring in Political Science. His Arabic teacher just returned to Lebanon. He heard from her two days ago, but now nothing. I would imagine that the Internet connection is shaky there along with everything else. It was interesting to hear her speak. Although she did say "I hate George Bush and he is supporting Israel." I am yet new to the information, but I wondered what she thought Israel should do. Let the terrorist cells bomb the hell out of them?

Do you suppose I found an anti-Semite? I have to tell you my first twenty years on this earth had me in a cocoon. When I went to work in the "real" world, I was perplexed. To say the least. In one of my first "major" jobs I worked for a Jewish man. When I told people where I worked, I would hear somebody mutter a joke or some kind of derogatory remark. I was shocked. My Mother would never have tolerated racism. I didn't even know what racism was.

I mentioned before when I moved to Virginia, I was stunned to see the bumper sticker that read "Clean up the South, put a Yankee on a bus". Why would anybody blame me for what happened over 100 years ago? Until then I had never considered myself a Yankee. To me a Yankee was a ball player and a stadium somewhere in New York. Three years prior I had lived in El Paso Texas. Nobody said anything to me there. Although I did hear racist remarks against the Mexican population while there. One of my best friends was a tall, dark complected, dark haired woman married to a black man. Her little boy was named Seneca. I asked her where she got the name. She said it was an Indian name. That was when it occurred to me that she may be part Indian (or Native American).

And once while watching Jerry Springer (cringe) this man with a shaved head stood up and screamed about black people "They don't belong in our country! Their ancestors are not from this country!" All I could think of was "Mister, where did your ancestors come from?" He didn't look Native American to me. I cannot watch shows like that.

So, what is the Middle East fighting all about? Some piece of farm land? Pride? Ownership? Oil? Money? Power? A religious belief? All of the above? None of the above? Why ask why?

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

As long as there are men on this earth, there will be fighting and wars; it's the nature of the beast. At least we women work things out or just stop talking to those that offend us. We don't go to war over it. And men just don't get that. Egos. Bah!

Peruby said...

Religion, Land, Power, Control. All war triggers.