Saturday, July 22, 2006

The rain and Spain



Thirsty hostas getting a much-needed drink of water

We have a good bit of rain hitting us today. Last evening also. Needed, but excessive. My window well over my root cellar now has a leak in it. I bailed again. I put my shop vac together today, so I am ready for the next deluge. Or, I hope I am. I read the instructions. I hope I know how to use it to suck up water.

Mine looks like this one below: (much quieter than I expected. I love it!


I watched The Family Stone. Puhhh - leeeeze! There was NO chemistry between Claire Danes and Dermot Mulroney whatsoever. Two cold (dead) fish would have more electricity on screen. Poor Sarah Jessica Parker. Her uptight character was over the top to say the least. She had to play somebody like that - somebody nobody would ever fall in love with. Not even cold fish Dermot's character. She was so out of it, like she had never been in a family home before. She calls her sister in to support her and they don't even share two words together during the film that would even come close to show that they are blood relatives.

The only one who had fun was Luke Wilson. His character was kooky and he played it well. I am still not so sure that Paul Schneider's character wasn't all there. Perhaps he was supposed to play somebody with a slower mentality. If so, it worked.

I am trying very hard to like Diane Keaton. Really, I am. There were times I thought her Mom character was "right on" and other times I can't stand to look at her. As if she is trying too hard to act "hip" and "swingy". It doesn't seem to come naturally for her. I had not seen a character that I have liked her in. Not one. Ditto for Claire Danes.

Some of the things her boyfriend's family said to Sarah's character in that movie would make me run the other way and stay away. I'd cut my losses and say "It's been real and it's been nice. But it hasn't been real nice."

And what is with some of the odd things that came out of Sarah's character's mouth? Who in their right mind would say stuff like that as a guest in somebody's home? And not expect to get thrown out on your bum?! I know that they are supposed to be telling a story about her being nervous and saying the wrong stuff, but I honestly think there is something socially retarded with anyone who would say that stuff to your boyfriend's family. Good grief!

This family had it all inside it's walls. A serious one, a kooky one, a bitchy one, a gay one (who has a black boyfriend) and a sweet one. The Mother was volatile and the father was passive. Could they have added anything else to this mix? There were no pets. Hmmm.

I know - it's just a movie. But it lacked any kind of sensibility to me.

Whoops! I almost forgot the Spain part. My niece has been stating on her blog that she is very sick and tired of Spain and cannot wait to come home. The heat is intense and she wants air conditioning. She wants Taco Bell. She is homesick. That is unusual because she lived in NOLA for two years, so she has been away from home before. She said her brother took a side trip over to Portugal. He seems to be holding up better than she. She does not like the food in Spain. She says it has mystery meat in it. I thought she was vegan. Hmm. And, she says that she is tired of eating bread. She said Spanish food is definitely not Mexican food. LOL! It is only 45 days or so out of her young life.

No comments: