Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It starts


Velvet poster of art by my daughter.


A little motivation goes a long way. The makeover of my daughter's room is in full swing. She is determined to get this project completed. It's her room, she has to take the initiative. And she is.

I didn't want them to pull up the carpet. She and her beau lifted a corner to show me. It was beautiful. I gave them the go ahead. They worked their behinds off. Pictures are here. Phase I.

We went to the lumber store to get finish. Polyurethane. The salesman told me I had to sand the floor down and then put a primer on it and then put a stain on it and then put the polyurethane on it. I asked him if he rented sanders. He said "No." He had no sense of humor. He was a regular stick in the mud. I almost didn't purchase anything from him.

I purchased the finish and two brushes. We ain't fixing it up for Home and Gardens. She just wants to dance on it! I can't stand the idea of sanding that floor down and losing that beautiful color. I don't have the energy. I don't have a sander. I don't have the patience.

We continue to look for a black chest of drawers. We found a dark one for $200. I told her she was NOT painting our maple chest of drawers I had purchased her four years ago. No way, no how! It is real maple and this dark one is well, something - but it isn't real wood. She can paint it, put stickers on it or plain chew on it for all I care.

We also found red and black chairs that she likes. I'll have to think about that purchase. They are a bit pricey. I have already purchased her one like this pictured below in fuzzy black:



She also has a little table and decorations for the wall. We are waiting for the chalkboard paint to arrive. Next step is the poly. Ready, set, go!

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Look like you have a few busy weeks ahead. Looks good already, though. Are you leaving up the mirror tiles? Those things are hard to get down, aren't they?

Miki said...

Looking good! Don't sand those floors, get Murphy's oil soap, with a damp mop and you shouldn't have to do anything else. Return that polyurethane to that humorless man! Even if you can find butcher's wax, it will bring the shine right out, everytime you clean the floor, use a soap and a damp mop that is made for wood, don't go to the trouble of resurfacing it! Takes too long to dry! good luck with the rest of the project!

Peruby said...

Tabor - We are leaving the mirror tiles on the wall. I guess my daughter and her girlfriend danced all night with the music blaring and I slept right through it!

Miki - LOL! Already have a coat of poly on the floor. It looks beautiful. I'll post Phase II later. I didn't sand, primer, or stain. It dries in 4 to 6 hours, but we are placing 8 hours between coats.

The smells! My God the smells! Polyurethane and turpentine!