Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunset Flash


Sunset Tuscarawas county

I believe this photo was taken in June of this year. I do recall having blinding spots in front of my eyes for a good while after taking the shots of the setting sun. Talk about your welder's flash.

It has been a very quiet week-end here in my neck of the woods. Feeling well rested. I have some awesome get togethers coming up, so I am embracing the down time. Storing up, so to speak.

As you know, one should never talk politics, religion or sex. Why not? Well, they are trigger subjects. They can trigger an argument like no other subject. The weather is much safer.

I have a co-worker. He is a retired postman and works as our custodian in the building. I like him. He is very nice, very polite and funny. (uh, not THAT way - he is married and has grown children). He goes to see quite a few movies and tells me about them. I don't get to the cinema often, I usually wait for the dvd to become available. So, he fills me in on the ones he has seen.

When Brokeback Mountain was the talk of the day, he told me that he would "Never" watch that kind of movie. At the time I thought "To each his own."

Then, a week or so ago we were speaking of college students and the war. He told me that he was in Viet Nam during the 1970 Kent State incident. Okay, take a deep breath. You're probably not going to like what he said. I didn't. He said at the time he thought to himself "They should have shot a few more." You can let your breath out now. This caught me off guard.

I mentioned that I liked this guy, right? He is a super fellow. Another deep breath. Okay. I wanted to reason with him instead of argue. I tried to tell him that the students were more than likely following the beliefs of a college teacher, blah, blah, blah. The conversation drifted onto something else or stopped without much more fanfare.

Then last week I walked in the office while he was in the middle of a conversation with my office co-worker. He said "I believe that what is happening over in the Middle East is what the Bible predicted is the end of the world." Whoa! Pretty strong words for 8:00 in the morning. I bit my lip, but did not butt in.

He continued to tell my co-worker that she should read Revelations so that she could see for herself that what is happening is "The end of the world." Yowza. I tried to stay quiet, really I did.

I chimed in on a few remarks he made about the book of Ezekiel and he chimed back. Nothing real intense. It blew over, but it reminded me the taboo subjects of religion, politics and sex. Keep my big mouth shut.

4 comments:

Tabor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tabor said...

I can usually keep my mouth shut, but these past years I have gotten angrier and angrier and it is hard not to say anything about the state of our world. Today my co-worker came in and said she was glad she had missed last weeks seminar on global warming because it was so totally false. I was glad she missed it too, because her brain would have exploded.

Miki said...

It is hard to keep quiet, and I admire the courage that it took to do so, you don't have to, but you did show an enourmous amount of restraint! I do interject my opinions when I can't keep silent any longer, and that is exactly what you did. I really am shocked, too, when I think that I really like the "nice person" only to find out that their ideas are really out there...I mean on the alien plane to nowhere! This too has happened to me, and it usually renders me speechless, literally, or too angry to even think straight. The kind of folks that look at a newspaper, look at actual pictures or a live feed on TV or a tape of actual eveents, and say, "No, way, that is all lies doctored to make us believe the whole lie being fed to us by the_________." fill in the blank, it doesn't matter what group you put there, there is always some group that these folks are apt not to believe and to blame for the world's "made up" problems! So keep on biting your lip, you can't change the world!

portuguesa nova said...

It seems that men who know better otherwise feel more and more entitled to say stuff like this as they get older. Women too, probably, I just don't notice it as much. I'm very good at giggling and ignoring, but I always feel guilty later.