My back sidewalk is a small river. It is easier to walk through the grass. My feet get less wet. Ivan is now visiting Ohio. I know that we have it better than others in the country, so I am not going to complain. In fact, I have it so much better than my co-workers located east of me.
Some of my co-workers from the home office had to evacuate their homes because a dam is about to give way. I had to leave the home office early because they closed the main road between the home office and my town. I took the high road. Since I grew up in that area, I know all the other routes. I recall my Mom saying she lived through some floods in the river area, but there has not been any type of flooding like this in over 40 years.
I do recall the Shadyside incident in June of 1990. My Mom and I drove through there right after that wall of water hit the tiny town and the National Guard was searching for missing bodies.
We were on our way for a small vacation at the Bob Evans farms. It was wonderful, although I have to admit I saw plenty of horses, but no pigs. Hmmm. I guess if you really think about it that is a good thing. The pigs were being packaged and sent to grocery stores and restaurants, right?
I miss my Mom. Before she got too old, we used to travel all over. Another one of our favorite vacations was to Holland, Michigan to see the tulips. I share her love of beautiful flowers. Especially the ones that continue to come back on their own without a lot of work on my part. :0
If your parent is still living, spend as much time as you can with them. Do those things that you have been meaning to do. I always meant to write my Mom's stories down. Now, I get confused. What year did they do that, what city did that happen in? You know. Hindsight being 20/20.
No comments:
Post a Comment