Sunday, April 08, 2007

Mixed feelings


A soft glow of the rain forest flora

I find myself in a mixed emotional state today. For the past few days I have been contemplating writing a piece titled "The dumbing down of America." This phrase sticks with me because it is being used a lot right now. In the papers, on the news, etc... Lately I have become aware of the people around me and how they just don't seem to be in tune with what is happening in the world today. I guess that says a lot about the company I keep.

Am I reaching a stage in life where I want to move from 'watching the events unfold on television' to actively 'doing something about it' or educating people about it? This brings forth the question, 'Do people want to be educated about it?' I distinctly get the feeling that a lot of people don't care. I think that frustrates me just as much or more as the unbelievable events themselves. My feelings are not catastrophic, just needling me.

The dilemma itself has been lying under the surface for a long time, but more recently when I mentioned a current event and that person had not a clue as to what I was referring. Is it true then, that since the boom of television "entertainment" we have tuned out of what is really going on in the world to watching endless sit coms and reality junk shows? I like to laugh as well as the next person (you know I love Seinfeld and AFV), but I can only ask that folks balance this out with watching a documentary or watching the news channels. Preferably, one that does not flash the latest death, overdose or overexposure of a celebrity.

When you go to a get together and the topic of conversation is the overdose of someone that lived their life to the extreme tells me that there is something askew. I don't want to be the wet blanket. I just want somebody to be able to make a comment when I mention the latest controversial issue about politics or the environment as well as the latest gossip in the plastic world of celebrities.

I have heard of certain celebrities reaching a point in their lives where they are trying to say "Look folks, this is NOT real! What we do is entertainment!" They try to invest their time, effort and money into a cause that they are passionate about. I can imagine that they also reach the point where it get ridiculous to them. Like the Captain said at one of the events "Get a life!"

Is the world so overwhelming that some people cannot face the actual reality? Does it make them think too hard? It requires effort and time to study and learn. The alternative is 'let's tune out and tune in?'

I don't mean to get up on my soapbox today. I also, went through many years when I didn't even know who the Governor of my state was if somebody were to ask me. I was busy living my life, trying to make ends meet, trying to establish a well paying job, trying to develop a relationship, trying to keep a social life, and trying to find myself. Life gets in the way.

During the ghastly movie "300" I sat thinking about how they trained the Spartans to fight. It was a lifetime training and this movie depicted that aspect of their life very well. It reminds me of a conversation I held with my brother some time ago.

Let's say that the United States goes to war. Who do you think will win? The man who had to live his life scraping by, scratching at the dirt to make his living, climbing trees and rocks to get from place to place - or, the American who grew up watching "Happy Days" and spending his Saturday nights cruising up and down the boulevard in his souped up Chevy?

I understand that the details are much more complicated than that, but this was just an example. Oh, I think I have exhausted myself, now. And, I have come to realize that wanting to write about this has just now become a reality. Like a poison, I have gotten it out of my system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are surrounded by everyone living within their own bubble. I have made it one of my goals in life to always keep a big pin with me to prick that bubble every once in a while and bring them back to reality. It sounds like you have started carrying a BIG pin also.