Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lovin' the little ones


My Grand Niece

The munchkin came to visit me Saturday. Oh, my sister came with her. This is her grand daughter. We had to laugh because she was trying to pick up five markers with her little hands and a nerf ball too. She finally put a marker in her mouth. We all put one in our mouths. Me, my sister and my daughter.

It was a fun day. We finished the day by meeting up with six other family members for a wonderful meal.

I was sick during the night last night (after the storm while the cold front was moving through) with a huge ice pick pain in my right eye. I finally broke down at 3:30 this morning and took a Relpax. I don't know why I didn't take one before. I actually thought it would go away with sleep. It went away but left me so tired from being awake for four hours during the night. I ended up taking the morning off and sleeping.

This afternoon when I went to work I was hit head on with a school down. It took an hour over the telephone, but we found the loop. Those pesky kids. One of them had plugged one end of an Ethernet cable back into another wall drop. This brought an entire network down. The horrible part of the situation is that some company had sold this school district on IP Telephony. So, when the Internet goes, so do the telephones. No communication. They are out in the boondocks, so no cell phone service. As it was, the company that sold the the IP Telephony service had set themselves up a modem connection to their equipment on an analog line and I walked the tech through connecting a desk phone to it. We just made sure we plugged the modem back in when we were done. Hee hee.

Hey, now that I think about it - the school is paying for the analog line. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Have you ever thought about compiling a written guidance for systems for schools. I.E. what the pros and cons are of certain systems, etc I wouldn't have a clue if I was doing it and I know that money is the bottom line with most districts...but they might pay a little extra when they see ther real price.

DearestDragonfly said...

Oh, the 'markers in the mouth' just made me laugh with delight! Isn't it fun to have a child around to remind us how important it is to play?

BTW -- we have IP phones at our university. YUK!!! Several problems we weren't expecting... They were horrendously expensive for the departments...but cheaper/easier for telcom as they don't have to 'fish the walls' anymore.