Monday, April 23, 2007

A Eureka moment


After the storm

I had a Eureka moment this evening. Kind of like a Kodak moment, but I use a Canon. I was sitting in my room watching the storm out my window. It was dark out and the lightning kept flashing the night into daylight. I was thinking to myself, now from what I have read on Photo Blogs they get their night shots by holding the shutter open for a long period of time. And I was wondering what that setting would be called. And then just like a flash of lightning, it came to me. As I experiment with different settings on my camera to see what I can get, there are two settings where it sits and the little indicator lights flash for a few seconds and then the shutter clicks and all I get is a huge white picture. Duh! That is because it is during the daytime and there is so much light let into the view finder. This setting was for the night pictures. I jumped up and grabbed my camera. Found the setting and snapped away.

Well, I don't have the procedure perfected, but at least I am getting there. When the lightning flashed during the few seconds the shutter was open, it made the photo look like it was taken in daylight. I see now how the car tail lights are streaked across the photo also. I did one car photo, but it didn't turn out real well. The car was turning into a driveway and was going too slow.

You'd think I would just crack open the manual. Or, read the CD that came with the camera. Huh.

The neighboring county to our west had a tornado warning. We didn't get that rowdy of weather. We just got the thunder, high winds, rain and lightning.

No comments: