Sunday, April 22, 2007

The sun also rises


A little northeastern sunshine from last autumn

I felt well enough this week-end to actual start some spring cleaning. There was so much to do. I started in the garage. It was a literal walk down memory lane. I am (my family is) notorious for being pack rats. I come by it legally. I went through about four big boxes for an upcoming yard sale my niece wants to have. My daughter went through two boxes. I came out with two big boxes for the sale and three huge industrial sized garbage bags of trash. YES!

During the cleaning, I stumbled across an old Panasonic CD player that I had purchased for my daughter a couple of years back. Before I got her the Creative Zen mp3 player. I made sure this player would also play mp3's. I wondered if it still worked. I put fresh batteries in and plopped in a new CD and found my old headphones and I was in heaven. I hurried to my computer and quickly shot off the making of a CD with over 100 mp3's. (The mp3 format will fit many, many more songs on a CD than if you create a CD for an ordinary music CD player). I started long ago purchasing all my DVD players and CD players that would also play mp3.

I found it much easier to Spring clean. The player is bulky, but I found a pair of old sweat pants with a pocket big enough to put it in and I can travel all over the house/yard/garage and clean. Totally oblivious to the world around me. Oh, I also made sure this player had the no skip feature. So far I have worked for four hours here, there, and everywhere with NO SKIPPING.

There is yet another plus to this player. My neighbor had brought in a jack hammer connected to a large Bobcat vehicle and is tearing up his driveway. This is 50 feet from my back door. Aaarrgghhh! They have not started yet today, but I imagine it won't be long before they do.

Last evening they started at 5 p.m., right when we were leaving to meet family for dinner. What great timing!

Speaking of family, if you have had a divorce in your family you may be able to relate to this. What do you do about the ex in-laws? In this case it is an ex sister-in-law. She is still the Mother to my niece and nephew. We met her for dinner. We try to reach out and make an effort to see her and make her feel loved. She was part of our family for ten years. It has to be very hard for her.

Okay, the back has recovered somewhat. Back to it.

1 comment:

Miki said...

I can relate to the pack rat thing, I come by it through my mother's side. She saved and still saves everything, and now she is blind. I try to weed stuff out when I go there, whe she isn't paying attention, and then I try to do the same at home. We sometimes get overrun with "STUFF" here, and that becomes a problem. Recently we had a yard sale fundraiser for the middle one's baseball team and boy oh boy did we clean out! You can walk around my basement now! I have to take the time to attack the kids' rooms next, as we are raising funds again in may! As for the divorce situation, yes, I can relate. My only brother had a wife for 25+ years, he drank too much, she filed for divorce, they had grown children, and one not completely grown. I try to stay in contact with her, my mother disapproves, and it is a fight for us, so I don't mention sister in law and it helps. I get where you are comming from with the contact thing. My brother died three years ago and it eased tensions for me and my mother a little, he was a poop stirrer, but he is a saint, now. Anyway keep the contact, it IS important.