Saturday, July 09, 2005

None of my pain and woe

blue sky sun


At lunch yesterday, I couldn't resist snapping some pictures as I walked the dog. The sun was high, the sky was brilliant and the trees were oh, so green. A favorite mix of mine.

I was talking to one of my daughter's old boyfriends on the telephone the other day. He is fourteen. I asked him how his summer was going. He said that he was just getting over a broken wrist. Knowing he rides dirt bikes and four-wheelers I asked him, "How did that happen?"

He said that he his Dad did it. My heart sank. When my daughter was dating this boy, I recall him telling me how his Dad forced him to look at him while he was talking to him and hurt his neck. One of these "Napoleon syndrome" fathers, who threatened to knock the boy back into the house if he tried to walk past him on the front porch. You know, Mr. Macho man.

I said "Oh, Tyler." He said, "It will be alright." I said, "Yeah, until the next time." He said, "I just have to learn to quit badgering him so much." I firmly told him, "It isn't your fault! Okay?" He said, "okay." I hung up with him telling him to take care. It bothered me for a long time, still does.

When my daughter called him back I got more of the story. A dirt bike was involved, but still an angry father was in the mix, also. Another thing bothered me. I overheard my daughter say, "Yeah, that's why I never talk back." Like I would ever break her wrist! I have felt like choking her, but I could never physically hurt my daughter.

While shopping last evening, I came across this funny product. It was intriguing to say the least. I always go weak in the knees around electronics. As I suppose some women do around shoes or handbags. Shoes, I don't care so much about, and I like a good handbag or two or three every year. Another weakness of mine is cosmetic bags. I must have ten of them. I don't use them all, I just like to buy them. Not a big addiction by some standards - but for me, excessive.

Coming from the speakers: Behind Blue Eyes by The Who

1 comment:

Tabor said...

We all have our addictions. Mine has been purses...not the Kate Spade stuff, always stuff on sale. I am continually looking for that perfect bag. You know, the one you can actually find things in.