
Solar Power. I should have remembered not to drive through the main square in town on a Friday. Holy cow, the traffic! And, the local businesses were holding sidewalk sales. There were people everywhere.
As I sat at the red light a little longer than usual, I looked around at the square. I always liked our town square. The city did a nice job of making it look nice. Two young boys were proudly standing by their display.
There was no sign to say if they were with the local boy scouts or any such organization. They wore no uniforms. One sign read "solar power". Next to that was a huge solar panel tilted to face the beautiful sun beating down on the town square. A couple feet next to that panel was a small water fountain. Very small. But the little fountain was pumping away with it's little spout of water.
I thought to myself. 'Okay. Good job. They were young. They were out there demonstrating solar power. Did they understand what they were representing? Did they fully understand the limitations we were facing on fossil fuels, and what choices we have for our future power sources?'
I soon got my answer. It was a long light. I noticed one boy pointing to something in the intersection and tapping the other boy on the shoulder. They started talking excitedly between themselves, looking and pointing. I followed their gaze to see what they were looking at. Sigh. Yes, I got my answer. Pulling up to the light in all it's shining glory was the young boy's dream vehicle. The Hummer.
I did my homework. The SUV is better than some, worse than others. In the mpg range.I guess boys will always like the muscle cars. And, some girls, too.
Coming from the speakers: Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi.
No comments:
Post a Comment