Monday, January 10, 2005

Motion Ocean Picture


My daughter got me a Motion Ocean picture for Christmas. It is a beautiful light blue light. She wasn't sure if maybe I would want to put it in my bedroom, so she got one with some green in it. She is so thoughtful.

The ocean moves when it is on and lit. There is sound (that can be turned off), it makes an ocean wave sound, along with a gull crying in the background. We found the noise annoying so we turned it off. We enjoy the light blue light as a night light in our "blue" living room. It is very pretty and very relaxing. It is framed in a shiny silver. I have yet to hang it. It is very heavy.

You can see more of these beautiful images here. They are just beautiful. They even have alarm clocks and table top pictures.

My counseling session went very well today. My daughter opted not to go. That is okay with me. I wanted to work on my attitude with my niece anyway. My counselor made me see a few things that I had not before. I am full of guilt, and I need to work on that. It is an unwarranted emotion.
She said that I need to look at the positive way I have influenced my niece instead of dwelling on the negative aspects of her personality. I feel responsible for her abruptness, rudeness and inconsideration. I need to be more aware of the fact that she is still in school, she is making decent grades, she is not a drunk or on drugs, she is not staying out all night, she plans to go on to college and further her education. Things like this.

And, the fact that not one of my brothers or sisters have even offered to assist with her upbringing since I have had her in my care. There is that old feeling of abandonment from my siblings, peeking through again. But, that isn't what this post is about.

She said that the resentment is not toward my niece, but towards her Mother who has left me cleaning up her messes and taking over her responsibilities. Something she has done for many years. My counselor said that after the niece is raised, the enabling must stop. I know, I know.

My niece will turn 18 in February. She will graduate from high school in May. Let's take it one day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time. I spend too much time worrying about what she will do for monies and such when she is out of high school. I fear that she will free load off of me. Because I am easily taken advantage of. Hence the counseling.

She will not get her license back until September. Her Mother is not up for parole until August. She does not have a job, nor is she trying to look for one. She spends every evening with friends.

I am struggling with all the responsibility. I spent yesterday afternoon helping my daughter with pre-algebra. She and I do not work well together on math. Thank God for the Internet. I just clicked a few web sites, and there it all is. Plug the problems in, and click, there is the solution, plus how it came about getting the solution. She said she felt that she did very well on her quiz today. Here is my favorite site for math.
I struggled with math when I was in school and I want to give her all the support I can. I am going to continue supporting her in the writing area, also. To hell with her school and how they handled Power of the Pen. We did the best we could, we pulled our weight. Someone dropped the ball. I may never know who.

I talked to my daughter about it, she does not want me to go to the school to "discuss" the issue with them. I felt that I should do something for the seventh graders. So that they have a decent chance next year. I still haven't decided yet. I feel that I should mention some concern in the area. I need to calm down first.

I need to begin planning the graduation party for my niece. She said that she doesn't want anything big. She said she won't be here anyway. She will be out partying with her friends. My party will not have alcohol, so I imagine she will have few classmates show up. They just look for the ones with the booze. Some things will never change. I'll just do the best that I can.

No comments: