We have a new table game. It started shortly after Christmas. It is called Toggle. Not "boggle". Anyone that speaks can play it. Most visitors that come over try it. And try it, and try it. Some use a very authorative speaking voice, others a begging kind of pitch.
Me, I have used them all. Authorative, begging, barking, whining, and yes, even suggestive. You see, it is my daughter's Lava lamp. It turns off and on with a person saying the word "toggle". You won't believe how funny this game can be. Watching new people play is hilarious. Everyone thinks they have the "magic tone" of voice that will get the lamp to turn off and on at command.
So, you can see us sitting around on a late Saturday afternoon barking at a beautiful blue Lava lamp ordering it to "toggle" on and off. Now, the lava part stays on when it is switched on. The lamp part above it holds a 60 watt light bulb. The shade is a psychedelic-looking conversation piece. There is a switch that you can turn to "speak" on or off. If it is on, the lamp will (when it feels like it) toggle on and off as you speak the word "toggle". Although, it has responded on occasion to the word boggle, goggle and only once "Paul Mitchell." We have no idea why. My daughter and niece were having a regular conversation about hair and hair products and when my daughter said "Paul Mitchell" the lamp went off. Hilarious.
The background noise affects the lamp's response. We have to mute the television and keep the conversation of others to a low roar. That isn't too difficult as everyone is caught up on whether the lamp will obey someone's command this time, or not. Toggle, TOggle, TOGGGGGle, Taaawwwgggle!, tallgull!, TAAAWWWGGGLLLEE!, boggle!, google! It is a cantankerous piece of houseware, I'll give it that.
When I mentioned that I used a suggestive tone, it was after my daughter said "Mom, you don't turn it on." Well, of course I considered that a challenge. And said in my most honey-dripping voice, "Hey there big boy - toggle." Nothing. Nada. Darkness. My daughter and her friend laughed hysterically. I sulked the rest of the day. Thus began the biting retort, "You're such a loser, you can't even turn on a lamp!"
No comments:
Post a Comment