I will see you next year. I am putting away the tree today. Did you receive the joke over the Internet of how the angel came to be on top of the Christmas tree? If not, here is the story.
I traveled to a town south of me, today. A lot of schools were closed or on a two hour delay. My girls had school - all day. My home office closed because of mud slides. Usually I don't see a lot of flooding in my town. Thank God. But, I saw a lot today south of my town. I stuck to the Interstate and a main route, but I couldn't help but rubber neck. So much water with no where to go. My route follows a river southwest. The school I was going to was open, but businesses around it had closed because their parking lots were flooded.
Sometimes I eat lunch at the Bob Evans in this town, it had water flooding the parking lot and up to it's front door. I saw two gas stations closed, their tanks and parking lots flooded. Secondary roads were closed. And me, without my camera. Figures. The rain passed on this morning. I don't know if today or tomorrow will be the worst day for flooding. May depend on where you are at.
I feel bad for the victims of the flood. I feel bad for the victims of the tsunami disaster. I stopped in the lobby outside a store today to catch my breath. I looked up at the "Have you seen this child?" posters. My heart goes out to the parents. One little girl has only been missing a month. She was from Ohio. "Why?," we ask. "Why does if have to be?"
"There is no such thing as monsters". Remember a grown up telling you this? Ah, but there is. There are monsters lurking around hurting children every day. When my daughter was little, I drew a monster head from "Where the Wild Things Are" on a piece of poster board with a red circle around it and a red line though it. It was titled "No Monsters". We hung it above her bed. I wonder if I still have it somewhere. Somewhere in my plethora of extra stuff in the garage.
1 comment:
The juxtaposition of the Tsunami and the floods in the Midwest is, to say the least, humbling. I had to wait a bit before going to the grocery store today - but the store is still here, as is my home.
Post a Comment