Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Give me forty acres...


...and I'll turn this rig around. I think Boxcar Willie sang it. Sure, the limo is nice, but can you really imagine driving it? I guess that is why you must have your CDL before you can.

This was a shot from the parking lot of the hotel my daughter and I were staying at in North Carolina - I think it was August 2003. Nice.

We are far away from that, now. I am going to try to get us somewhere this summer for vacation. I would like to see Niagara Falls. I was there when I was ten or so. She is going to D.C. with her class in the spring.

Wait, forget the falls. At this time, I am thinking of somewhere without water. The dams are in danger here. Roads are closed. I don't care much for the desert, but anything dry would be good about now.

My brother's ex-wife's father (get that?) said that he was able to water ski down a state route close to here one year in the 60's. I don't recall what year he said. I couldn't find any info on it.

The on and off ramps to Bolivar and I77 are closed. I drove past them last evening on the way to the hospital. People were pulling off the Interstate to take pictures and gawk. There is a place close to the ramps where you can rent canoes and take rides on the river (in the summer). The buses that take the boaters to and from the drop-off points were submerged in the water so that just the tops of them could be seen. This is a very low point because it gives the canoe travelers easy access.

I recall there was some flooding in the area about 10 years ago. Maybe longer. My brother is a volunteer firefighter. They are standing by with a boat. They may have had to use it by now. One small town is completely surrounded by water. His department placed a truck there before the roads were completely submerged. It is ready to roll in case they have a fire. I don't know how quickly the firemen (and women) could get to the truck if such a thing were to happen. I haven't talked to him in a while.

Our forecast for tomorrow is thunderstorms. Bleak .

No comments: