Sunday, June 05, 2011

We got hail!

Well, not me in my little town. My daughter did over at her little town. She caught this photo with her phone and sent it to me. That is by far the largest hail stone I have ever seen. I've seen plenty of pea sized hail and maybe a nickle size, but never this size. Zounds!

We were in a tornado warning for most of the evening. The sirens just blew and blew. I made myself sick by not turning my air on yesterday and by the early evening I was sick from the heat. We were supposed to go to a combined graduation/birthday party but it was canceled when that storm whipped up.

We were waiting for my daughter's boyfriend to get off from work and he had to take a shower. I checked my cell phone and I realized that I should change the battery. I turned the phone off, popped in a new battery and sat down to wait. It was sweltering.

An hour later (after watching the storm come in and the weather channel) I decided that perhaps I better call to see if my daughter and her boyfriend were on the road to my house. Maybe they did not know of the tornado warning. 

Drat! I had forgotten to turn my phone back on after replacing the battery. A message popped up right away. Party canceled. I called my daughter. They were enjoying dinner in a pub in her town.

Grrr. It was almost too late to turn the air on. The air outside was turning cooler but I knew (the way my house was set up) that it would be hours before it cooled down. Previous owner did not like open windows. WTH? Nothing opened in the living room/dining room except the front door. Sweltering!

I decided to sit in front of the fan and look for a movie to watch. I chose unwisely. I have always liked J Statham and B Foster. The movie was much too gruesome for me and as usual the depiction of women was tawdry. It was The Mechanic. Sigh. Maybe I should have chosen a comedy but their depiction of women is just as bad. Seriously! The dog was given better treatment than the women in this movie!

Are there any movies that do not depict women as cheap, stupid and low? I am not a big fan of A Jolie, but would love for her to sleep with a guy in one of her movies and then leave a wad of bills on the nightstand as she leaves. On second thought, no I would not. Either way, that depiction stinks. Male or female.

A few weeks back, I did see "Morning Glory". That one was not horrible where women were concerned. I can "just" tolerate D Keaton in  a couple of her movies.

Oh, and btw. This movie Super 8 has a walk on appearance of my nephew. His car (I believe it is a '66 deep red/black cherry Buick Skylark) is also depicted in the film. It broke down during filming and they had to leave it there so it got more air time! LOL! Sigh. I don't suppose my nephew could get me a meeting with K Chandler. Do you? Naw, I didn't think so.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

These storms are shifting north. You probably wouldn't believe it if I told you I had seen hail the size of soft balls. Seen hail that size come through the overhang of the gasoline pumps. When one them hit the pavement the sound was much the same as a clap of thunder following a lightning strike. No matter. I'm glad you didn't have a storm that did damage.

You mean to say you carry batteries around with you and you just plop one in when it needs changing. How do you know when it needs changing and not recharged?

When I need a battery changed I take it the cell phone store or somewhere. You just carry them around?

Nothing is seldom as bad as the worry we put into it.

If I can say so you seem to be picky about movies. I shouldn't say that. I haven't watched five movies in the past six years. And the ones I watch I have usually seen them two or three times. Maybe I'd better withdraw the statement. But it nice to have some one you know or a family member involve in a movie.

My brother was involved in a movie one time. It was the "Last Picture Show" filmed in Archer City, Texas. My brother had a band that appeared in a couple of scenes. It was a big deal back then.

I hope you've cooled off.

Cheers and happy Halloween.

Peruby said...

Bill - I bought an extra battery with a battery charger when I got my phone (samsung fascinate).

The low battery icon pops onto the screen and the icon turns yellow when the battery is low.

Movies. No need to retract your statement at all. I have some folks tell me "It's just a movie, Peruby!" LOL! I take my movies seriously. I figure if you are going to spend that much time and money writing, producing, directing and creating a movie - then get the facts right.

I will tell you what. I DO believe you when you say you saw hail the size of softballs. I would want to be somewhere else when those suckers start falling out of the sky.

kden said...

Wow that is something and then to hear Bill talk about softball sized. We had a freak storm last week. It only lasted 5 minutes but when it was over we had a river of water and hail glowing down the street in front of our house.

OMG I love Kyle Chandler!

OK said...

Also during tornadoes a few years back, we had a lot of hail which managed to put tiny little dents on my car. Sounds like you would have liked a "do-over" for your Sunday. It's getting unbearably hot here. I dread July and August.

Anonymous said...

Off Subject- Peruby, what is White Cloud??

Peruby said...

Bill - Uh, toilet tissue? I'm lost. ???