Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Standing in the sun

It was about fifteen minutes before twelve when the secretary of the building I worked at announced that the superintendent was inviting anybody and everybody to stand outside as the funeral procession for a local fallen hero drove past.

Immediately I printed up some quick pics of "Support Our Troops" signs and went outside. I looked up and down the street. I walked up to a few folks and handed them one of the papers to hold. Flags lined the street. You can read the story here.

It would be forty five minutes before the procession rolled by. It was something to see. The sun makes me sick. As the heat beats down I get ill, faint and dizzy. Yesterday at noon in the heat I felt nothing but pride and sadness for this young marine and his family.  The amount of bikers at the beginning was a sight to see. The many men in full uniform (some in air conditioned cars, some not) was another breath taking sight.

No amount of sun would bother me this day. I was sweating profusely but it was one of the most memorable processions I have witnessed in a very long time. If not the most memorable. I would not have missed this for the world. We need something like this every now and again to bring our lives and our thoughts into perspective.

The staggering amount of people that drove to join us, parking their vehicles along the street or in our parking lot, getting out of their vehicles to stand proud and salute as well as the folks who came streaming out of their houses was beyond belief. The tears flowed. It was soul inspiring. It was a much needed reminder for this old gal.

4 comments:

Grumpy said...

It's so sad to see these funerals. So many futures never to be. Bring them home.

Peruby said...

Grumpy - I agree.

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Sad, definitely, but oh my gosh, the PRIDE they inspire in me is enough to make me BURST. I am SO proud of these people who are willing, and occasionally called to, give their lives for our country. I would have felt just like you, standing in the hot sun on that day. Thanks for standing there "for me."

Timelesslady said...

Thanks for reminding me of what matters...and what does not!