Saturday, June 18, 2011

It starts...

My tiger lilies. At least the ones that are not getting choked out by the Gaillardia flowers. I must separate them and replant a lot of them to other areas.

Shhh. Be vewy, vewy quiet and don't look now,  but I think I have found some moonflower sprouts by my bushes in the front of the house.  Don't look! I told you not to look! You will scare them away!

For those of you who have been around for a while you know that I used to have a huge cluster of moonflower plants. I did something wrong two years ago and lost it. A few stragglers ended up in front of my patio and produced a couple of plants. I see no sign of them in front of the patio, now. Now that I found them in the front of the house - maybe? I am so excited. I love them. I never had them until I moved to this house in 2002. They were the most wondrous smelling night flower ever.

Also for those of you who have been around a while, you may remember what is coming up. I have an Independence day blow-out every year. I skipped the year 2009 because of my daughter's graduation party was two weeks earlier. Who can forget the sumo wrestling mat? Oh what fun. If you want videos, go to youtube and search for "sumo wrestling new philadelphia ohio".  We are the videos with the huge red and blue striped mat.

You can see from the videos how very hard it was for the ones who had to keep picking them up. They became very tired very quickly. It was warm out. The really nice thing was the company left the mat and suits until Monday evening. My party was Saturday and I told my neighbors (who had a small party Sunday) to have a go at it. Hilarious!

It flattened the grass a little (yes, the mat did move a few feet) and it cost a couple hundred - but it was SO worth it. People talk about it still. I wanted to do something different for my daughter's party and in 2005 we rented a tent for my niece and her party and this company had some fun inflatable games that it rented.

Well, back to my blow-out. The invitations are made, I just have to mail them out. It will be July 2nd this year. I always coincide my event with the fireworks display. We can see the higher ones from my front yard (for those of us too drunk to walk over the hill to view them). My town also has a big festival in the park that week-end. 

I plan to have a craft and coloring table set up for kids. They always want to throw the Frisbee and play badminton with the adults and sometimes it looks as if they are going to get hurt. I hope to distract them with their own little play area this year.

My daughter and niece used to play a Sega Genesis video game of "The Lion King". I am not one to play video games, but I think to master the game you have to begin over and over again. This particular game said "It starts..." when the game restarted. I must have heard that phrase a million gazillion times!

Well, I have stuff to do, so I will catch you all later.

5 comments:

Tabor said...

My moonflowers never reseed...too cold here. I have to plant them in pots and then transplant to the deck every year...not this year as none of the seeds I saved made it! Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

Nice shot. Make a nice background for your computer screen. When I see something here online I like I wish I had a camera. But I really don't know what for. I probably wouldn't know how to use it.

Peruby said...

Tabor - I am not sure what the trick is. You know what? Come to think of it, I did plant seeds out front where they are coming up. Maybe it takes two years? Keep looking. I will post pictures. I recognize the leaf because I am always looking for it.

Peruby said...

Bill - that is why I started with a point and shoot. And this one I have now is a point and shoot. I practice and then I joined a photo contest site (http://www.photofriday.com/). I started looking at each and every one of the contributors and I learned a lot. Some days were better than others. Sometimes I put the camera way for weeks at a time. Hope you change your mind!

kden said...

Ver pretty Lilly. Ours have not quite bloomed yet. I love moon flowers. I first saw them at my brothers and he gave me some seeds. They only got big enough to bloom about 1 flower and that was it. Hope yours make it.