I can remember the deer hitting the windshield, now. I think I can put the pieces of the puzzle in the correct order, now.First glimpse I saw the deer over the hood of my car (as if he were a flying reindeer). I can remember thinking to myself "That's not right."
The next flash was the body of the deer hitting my windshield. I think this one I blocked out for about a week until it came back to me Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.
The air bags must have deployed and at the same time the deer bounced off the hood of my car and was thrown onto my windshield. I remember seeing his back smacking up against the windshield.
The next flash would have been the bags deflating and that powder everywhere in my car.
But, the smell. My God, the smell. It was just the worst.
In a flash, my brain realized that I had an accident and had hit a deer.
My first instinct was to get the car safely to the side of the road and were there any cars behind me or in my passing lane?
My brain told me there were no cars (most of the time we know if there is a car coming up behind us, etc...)
The next flash of an instant, I felt under the airbag for the flashers.
I do not recall pressing the brakes, that would have been reflex and I didn't have to think about it.
I pulled the car to the side of the road and put it in park.
I fumbled for my cell phone which was in the charger.
I gasped for air. I rolled down my window (and tried to roll it down again). That I remember.
I thought the car might be on fire and I wanted to get out.
I tried to see if there were any more cars coming, so that I could exit the car safely.
I remember seeing the dashboard all in red, so I reached up and took the keys out of the ignition. I turned my lights off.
I do know that I saw the deer flying perfectly over my car (he was not hurt yet).
I do recall his body hitting my windshield.
Sigh.
I am still looking for a car. I test drove 2 yesterday. The new Accord and the new Civic.
I do know that I saw the deer flying perfectly over my car (he was not hurt yet).
I do recall his body hitting my windshield.
Sigh.
I am still looking for a car. I test drove 2 yesterday. The new Accord and the new Civic.
I am (relieved?) that I found out the Accord is way too much car for me. Yet disappointed because it was the only Honda that comes in green. And you can't find many.
I am also upset that they only make the CRV in that pretty glacier blue.
That is my biggest pet peeve about Hondas. The colors.
Now, on to the Civic line. My first one served me well, I can probably expect the same from another one.
I've been driving a rented Jetta. The one I am driving is metal gray or something like that. It is nice enough except it has a horrible blind spot that unnerves me, and a bit sluggish when I press the gas. You really have to give it some gas to shoot forward at quick take offs, etc...
It appears to be in the same price range as the Accord, but the Accord is much, much bigger. I'd say the Jetta is between a Civic and an Accord. Perfect size for me, but that blind spot really bothers me. And, the nearest dealer for a Jetta is 40 minutes away.
My rental goes back on Monday. I have my sister's Cougar to drive. It is also green. Maybe I should have driven that for the past week instead of the Jetta and when I test drove the Accord I would not have been overwhelmed. LOL!
Regardless, my pocketbook will thank me if I stick with the Civic. I am still paying my daughter's car and insurance, so this will be a challenge. I have started to cut back on things. I won't miss them anyway. I'll probably use the money I get from my faithful Civic to pay our vehicle insurance for a year so at least I don't have to worry about that bill. My daughter's job is only seasonal, and I have to prepare for her not working and bringing in any money. That way if she does get another job, or if this store decides to keep her (It is a long drive, so that is not great) then things will go a bit smoother for us.
4 comments:
So sorry for all this money angst during the holidays. You will survive as you sound so intelligent about money. You also were very responsible after the accident...not in a crazy panic. I want you with me if I ever am in an accident. Peruby, wish I lived next door so that I could help!
I like when things go smooth in our lives. But something always comes along and pops up. In your case it was that deer. And what a mess it brought...now you have to deal with finding a car and then having to pay for it too. All because of one deer. It just doesn't seem fair.
Tabor - Thank you so much. Can I ship you my dogs for the holidays so I can put up a tree? LOL!
Cheyenne - I have been so angry the last couple of days. I am trying to pull myself out of it and suck it up. I guess we all have to take turns with the unfairness of it all. My turn!
I keep kicking myself in the rear and telling myself "It could (have been) be worse! Count your blessings."
Post a Comment