Sunday, December 06, 2009

Steps and stages


car after crash

Hitting the deer did not cause the hood to flip up. I was able to see to drive the car off the road. When I went back on Friday to take pics, the garage had set the hood up with it's holder. I didn't bother to drop it back down to get a different angle of the picture. I should have.

Anyway, after the initial stages of "I'm lucky, it could have been much worse" and blah, blah, blah....I am at the angry to depressed stage. I can't recall who (I know it wasn't family because they know how much I loved this car) said to me "Hey! You get to shop for another car!" Like that's a GOOD thing?

Me? Who hates shopping and dealing with car salesmen? No, I think not. I like to shop for a car on MY terms not to be determined by a scared, helpless buck running from a shotgun.

Insurance is covering a rental. The field adjuster called and said this is how it happens. He will look at the car on Tuesday afternoon. Do the paperwork and on Wednesday claim it totalled (everyone says because of the deployment of the air bags) and I will have 3 business days left with the rental car. So - start shopping! Go, go, go!



Hello-o-o-o! It's the very beginning to the middle of the holiday season. No, I didn't have anything else to do.... not at all!

The good thing is there are plenty of great opportunities out there in the car shopping world. The bad news, I am unprepared financially to take advantage of those great deals! Everyone says "They have 0% financing right now! What a deal! Get a brand new car!" Gosh, gee! My head spins. Wow! I'll just go and do that! Then it hits me! Oh, yeah! To get that financing you must have about $3500 down! Should I buy those lottery tickets, now?

The credit approval is no big deal. I am pretty sure I am still in good standing since I got the loan for my daughter's car a year ago. Since my car was paid for and has been for many years, I got a loan to get her a decent car (one that we didn't have to repair every 3 months or so, or would not leave her stranded along the road in the middle of the night) and I would make the car payments so that she could go to school full time and get a part time job. She just got her job but it is only seasonal. So, I am still making the payments and the insurance.

Yeah. So a new car would really put a strain on the budget right now. I am so angry. That civic would have easily lasted another 2 years, possibly 4. Possibly more. I made sure I followed the maintenance - and at the Honda dealership.

So this stage will pass to acceptance. And I will move on. My sister said I could use her car as long as I needed to. I could buy it if I wanted to. It is a big car. Too much car for me. My nephew said I could buy his Stratus. My niece said I could use her van. One brother called to see if I need to borrow money. He said he got a big Christmas bonus at work. What is "big" to him? $500? $2,500? I would never borrow as much as $3500 off of a relative or a friend. That is just asking for trouble. All offers are very appreciated.




My head hurts with idea of having to make this decision so quickly. I don't make decisions quickly. I usually research for a long time and then get fed up with myself for dragging my feet , so I just run out and purchase the darn thing. I've already been looking on-line and I am getting very, very depressed. Sigh.

Sometimes it just does not come easy.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

What a nice holiday challenge. Just try to be Zen about it all...don't get sick. Take advantage of the loaners from your relatives...maybe you could do it a couple of weeks at a time. If I lived nearby, you could certainly use one of ours! We bought our last car from Enterprise rentals. They have huge inventories and can get you a used car with less than 10,000 miles. Maybe other rental franchises can do the same. Breathe in and breathe out...you are not damaged, just the car.

robin michelle said...

Quite an experience, I'm glad you're ok! Even if you wanted another car, shopping for one can be frustrating. Especially at this time of year! Take care and good luck with the process.

Twin City Joan said...

I know just how you feel about buying another car. My car will be 15 in a couple of months with 130K miles and I have been thinking about another car for months. New/Used? Which brand? Which model? Now or next year? It is enough to give one a splitting headache. I wish you luck in your search. And yes, I am disgusted with myself for dragging this out so long.

Peruby said...

I appreciate all of your comments and well wishes. I went to the bank first. I am approved for a loan that will cover a new car for me. Nothing spectacular, just normal-range new.

I've been looking and comparing and reading on line.

I suppose the next step is to test drive a couple of them.