Thursday, March 22, 2007

Not too bright

My Mom used all of the old time sayings. "Bright eyed and bushy tailed." "Red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morning, sailor's take warning." "What you lack in the head, you make up in the heel." (this one I would say to myself many times!) She said her favorite was "This too shall pass."

The thought that comes to mind this morning is "Bright eyed and bushy tailed -NOT." I was out late last night to a birthday party. I am moving slow this morning. I don't usually celebrate on a school night, but this was arranged because of my nephew leaving for China in 3 days. And it was out of town.

The weather has a spring-like feel to it. Warm. It feels good to be outside walking around in the warmth without such a chill in the air. I'd like to say it puts a spring in your step, but I can't say that I am stepping much lighter or quicker.

I am working on my first cup of coffee and trying to brush the cobwebs out of my head. I didn't take my camera inside the restaurant, because my nephew's camera puts mine to shame. He has the Canon EOS 30D with lenses that cost more than the camera body. A co-worker of his does some professional photography on the side and he gets all the latest and greatest tips from him. He borrowed a mono-pod to take on his trip to China from him. Cripes, I didn't even know they existed.

My daughter hit him up for ideas of what video card that I am to purchase for her for her birthday so that she can kill people faster. (In her video game). My nephew laughed and stated that he is looking at a $600 card. I said "Not funny! Give me something a little cheaper." He is coming to my house Friday evening and I'll have him recommend a good one for her game.

The Lion King trip is more my idea that my daughter's. She wouldn't go anywhere if she had her choice. I am trying to add some culture to her life. The heathen.

I don't recall what type of flower (above photo) my sister had on her patio last summer, but it reminds me of a bleeding heart.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

The tropical flower is a Fuschia and I have tried to growth them in containers, but in our hot summers they wilt away. There are plants in Hawaii that are almost bushes!

If you do any reading on photography, as I have, you will find that many experts do not put a lot of stock in the expensiveness of the camera. A good quality lense is important, but I have seen photos taken with point-and-shoot cameras by professional photographers that were magnificent. Good photography is based on talent.

Don't belittle your photographic efforts and always use your camera regardless of who else is shooting!

Miki said...

Tabor is right, Fuschia. I have seen them at a lot of garden and nursery stores in my area. They do look lovely, if taken care of, in a hanging pot. My sister is a green thumb and had them at one time too. She plants everything herself, none from seed, but makes her own hanging baskets from little pots, and has a park like yard. I wish I had the "eye" to photograph anything well. When My photos come out great, it is by pure accident. Those are the ones that I blow up, decorate with the program that came with our printer and the like. I love a great photograph, digital or otherwise!

Peruby said...

Fuschia! Well named plant.

Very good points about the photography. Point(s) well taken.