
The summer of 1982 I lived in El Paso, Texas. I was hungry for adventure and had a bad case of wanderlust. Besides family and friends I missed the greens of Ohio. Maybe I should visit Ireland.
The picture above is from my sister's house out in the boondocks. She lives so far out she has been invaded by the Amish. Yesiree. Imagine the Amish discovering virgin territory. Well, when they first moved out there, everyone on the ridge was thinking "The Amish. How bad can they be? They won't disrupt the ridge. They are a quiet, peaceful people." WRONG! They couldn't have been more wrong. Lumber yard. The Amish get up at the crack of dawn, remember. Saws grinding at 5:30 in the morning is not a pleasant sound. The Amish don't drive semi tractor trailers, but they sell their lumber to people that do. They now have pot holes in their little one lane road that I about lost my car in.
So, if you live in a remote area and hear about the Amish coming to live next door. Move, run and hide. The kids are really cute, though. Oh, and their horses get loose every other week or so. Big, gigantic, Pershing horses. Their hoof prints are as big as my car. Well, almost. My sister's peaceful ridge is now a distant memory. Who would have thunk it?
I think I did the impossible today. I could easily imagine that no one has ever done this before. I made an employee of the DMV laugh. Yes, I did! Her face may have cracked, but she laughed, none the less. My apologies to any readers who are, have been, plan to be, or are related to, any employee of the DMV, BMV or equivalent in any state thereof. I couldn't help myself.
Regardless, I did my annual duty. My vehicle is legal again for another year. And, what is this renewal for two years thing? I saw it on the wall as I was paying. I can get a sticker for two years, now? I only have to visit this Nazi camp once every other year? Yeehaw! I'll sign up for that option next year, you betcha!
As I walked in, I took my number from the red round dispenser at the door. Heaven knows, you don't want to try to get in line without a number. Picture the line at the soup Nazi on Seinfeld. I picked number 91 and the counter on the wall said 87. Not too bad. I was on my lunch break. But there were only three people and they were all already at the counter. Where were 88, 89 and 90?
She called out number 88. She looked at me. "What number do you have?" I told her 91. I was certain I had done something wrong and would have to suffer their wrath. Is that what happened to 88, 89 and 90? Were they in the back getting tortured? Maybe they were being forced to peel off annual vehicle stickers, or worse read the drivers test study guide. I couldn't hear any screaming.
She just changed the marker to 91 and motioned me up to the counter. Forty dollars later and a good snicker from her and I was out the door with my vehicle sticker. She didn't even let me know that I was late. Overdue. Well, that's just me. Whew, made it in time to get back to work before my lunch hour was up.
Coming from the speakers: Top of the World by The Carpenters
2 comments:
Bureaucracy at work can sometimes be a good thing. They occasionally hire real people. I sent in my 'change of address' form to the Post Office marking it effective on June 27--but I mailed it May 26th. BIG MISTAKE! I am no longer getting my mail. I was on hold for 30 minutes at work today trying to get the date changed. After hanging up and dialing again and telling them I had already been on hold 30 minutes I talked to someone who said my date was correct in the computer, but he would call me right back after trying to reach the person on the route...ha ha ha. Tonight I left a note on my mailbox, explaining I still wanted my mail. Hope it works. I have had no mail since Friday.
Ah, the best laid plans!
Post a Comment