
What an annoying little dog. Okay, sorry. My sister's/niece's dog. I suppose the little thing is lovable to them, but I found it's nature hyper and snappish. She nips, she barks, she runs around like a crazed psycho. I like a quiet, good-mannered, laid-back dog. Give me my Sable.
I have my niece's graduation ceremony today. It will be close to ninety degrees and they are having it outside. If it doesn't rain. It doesn't look like it is going to. Because of the recent lousy weather, few people have had any sun exposure. I can see a disaster in the making, here. I'll bet more than one person passes out today.
My niece had to purchase a new dress. The girls have to wear dresses. Oh, really? And do the boys have to wear dresses too? She said no, but they aren't allowed to wear sneakers. Mmmm, hmm. I feel that the girl should have a choice. If she doesn't want to wear a dress, she shouldn't have to. I don't think my daughter would. Four years. We'll find out what the rules are in four years. They can't really make a girl wear a dress. And, I don't think they can deny her walking in the ceremony for not wearing a dress. The gown should cover most everything anyway. As hot as it is, she might wish she were wearing a dress, though.
After the ceremony, we go to my nephew's party. His ceremony was a couple of weeks ago. (Different school.) His party starts at noon and is at a park where there is alcohol allowed. My brother is divorced from my nephew's mother, he advised them against the alcohol for a graduation party. He is the fireman/EMT. He has scraped a lot of drunks off the roadways. Literally. Decapitation, major ugly scenes.
I will not have alcohol when my niece has her party. Some may call me a hypocrite, because that was all I did when I graduated. Went from party to party looking for the booze. That was twenty-seven years ago and I was completely irresponsible. In fact, the local bars served me. And, no one told me not to. In fact, no one told me anything at all. Another lifetime ago. I lived about twenty-five miles from the West Virginia state line where you only had to be eighteen to purchase hard liquor. Of course they had a liquor store right next to the state line. They aren't stupid. Just drove over and purchased all the booze I wanted.
I can have a party with alcohol anytime. This time is for my niece and her friends and the recognition that they are closing one chapter in their life and starting a new one.
My brother will be here in an hour, and I must keep moving. Must find my camera and make sure the battery is charged.
Coming form the speakers: Reminiscing by The Little River Band
2 comments:
It always seems even among adults that you can't have any fun without alchohol. I was talking to my daughter's in-laws who are good friends with a lottery couple. My daughters in-laws went downstate to their friends fancy beach house for a pre NASCAR celebration. She said they were really partying before the race. What do you mean I asked? Well, you know, they start drinking at 10:00 at the tailgate thing. Ah yes, party=booze.
At 7 p.m. they finally had to move the party elsewhere. One guy took the keg and put in the back of his open pickup truck with his muddy four-wheeler. Talk about a cop magnet! Luckily they had less than two miles to go.
I rarely drink before six p.m. (if at all anymore), let alone noon. Never been one to tailgate. At one concert I watched a guy throw up right in front of me, that did it for me. No more concerts.
Post a Comment