My daughter told me today that one of her boyfriend's Mom's called me ignorant. Because I don't have my daughter on birth control. Okay. My daughter and I talk about this stuff. She trusts me enough to tell me that someone called me ignorant.Ignorant:
1. Lacking education or knowledge
2. Showing or arising from lack of education or knowledge
3. Unaware or uninformed
I talked to my daughter about birth control I think about three years ago. My niece is still with us. My daughter understands that if she is not comfortable coming to me with the issue, that she is to go to my niece for assistance. I put my niece on birth control when she first moved in with us. She was fifteen and had already had sexual relations (when she was in her Mother's care - not mine).
So what? Should I just put my daughter on birth control to be safe? I also explained to my daughter that the pill isn't the end-all to precautions. That she must use a condom each and every time because of STD's. Procreation is something that humans are born to do. That is nature at it's finest. Ready or not, girls get pregnant. We can live with raising a child. You can't live with STD's. Or, you wouldn't want to.
Is she ready emotionally to deal with sex issues? Am I ready? Am I balking?
Also, the big discussion about teenage girls is all the oral sex that is not taken very seriously. Most girls don't consider this "having sex." We have also discussed this. To great lengths.
About a year ago I ordered a bunch of pamphlets from www.plannedparenthood.org. I have pulled them off the bookshelf and we are going to go over them again. Because I could very well be ignorant. She had her child at seventeen and I had mine at thirty-one. Perhaps she is trying to avoid another teenage pregnancy.
Another trip to the dermatologist today. This time she was going in with a bigger knife. This is the mole that she feels perhaps there was some left inside. I was able to watch her stitch my daughter's wound. I am not able to observe the actual cutting, yet; but I made progress. I watched the stitching up. Big breath. I realize that I wasn't breathing while I typed that last part. Another big breath.
Again, I want the doctor to cut me up instead. Take the knife or scalpel and excise ME! Cut out little shards of my back instead! Please! Please!
Coming from the speakers: Breathe No More by Evanescence
1 comment:
I sent an earlier post which was ignored by Blogger. But the jist of it was that the boyfriends mother is more concerned that her son does not father a child out of wedlock than she is about all the other issues surrounding pre-marital sex!
Post a Comment