Thursday, September 22, 2011

Torture

I was tortured as a child. Yes, I was. The day before picture day my hair was washed and rolled up in big curlers. This was before the invent of hot rollers or hot curlers or electric curlers. Whatever you called them. The process was painful. Then I was put to bed with these huge rollers in my head. 

Let me tell you - there is NO WAY to sleep comfortably with a head full of large rollers in your hair. Unless you can sleep flat with your face in the pillow and still breathe. I could not. I could just manage to twist my face so that I could breathe while trying not to lay on a huge roller.

The rollers would pull your hair all night long as you slept because you were putting weight on your head as you lay it on the pillow and thus it would smash the roller and pull your hair.

I'd say that was torture, wouldn't you?

By the morning after very little sleep, an uncaring sister would yank the rollers out of your head and curse as she tried to style your hair. The end result? Bumps in my hair. Big ugly bumps.

I am certain that I was on the verge of tears in the above 5th grade photo. To top it all off, I hate myself without bangs.

I wonder what the average age is for young girls to wear make up? I think I started in 7th grade. I think my daughter started about that time also. I certainly was a pale face. Man, no wonder everybody pinched my cheeks. All this time I thought it was because I had chipmunk cheeks. Now I see that they were probably trying to get some color into my face.

I'm not sure that golden color did much for my complexion, either. I really don't think I liked that dress very much.

3 comments:

Grumpy said...

Now I know why my mother was so crabby; she regularly slept in rollers.

robin michelle said...

Aw but you look so cute! It's fun to look at old pictures and remember how we felt as kids. So different than what adults thought probably!

Cheyenne said...

I am so glad I have curly/wavy hair...I never had to endure that kind of torture.