Sister 1954 on the right and a band member(unknown) on the left.
I was born in 1960. I spent my youth in the colorful, drug-infested, free stylin' years of the hippie world. My parents were kind of set in the 50's era. My dad slicked his hair back, my Mom put her hair in bobby pins every night.
They were not typical and my family was not typical. That is not what this post is about.
I had siblings born in the following years;
Brother 1942
Sister 1944
Sister 1949
Brother 1953
Sister 1954
Sister 1956
Brother 1957
and me 1960
I grew up watching them. Oldest brother was in the Air Force by the time my memory of my youngest years kicked in (from about 4 or 5 years old and up). Oldest sister was supporting the family along with oldest brother. Sister 1949 was in college for the most part that I remember.
That left the 5 youngest to be children at home.
We did the sled riding, the woods romping and the ball playing.
I cut my teeth on the sixties by listening to their music watching their dress and their actions.
We did not have indoor plumbing until I was six years old when my oldest sister purchased a house for the family. We had been kicked out of so many houses (most were condemned and we had to leave). I had a huge fear of a flushing toilet for many, many years. I think I am still a bit afraid. More so I think it may be a fear of loud noises. My brothers and sisters never mention having this fear, though.
The sixties for me was playing with dogs, starting school, loving to draw and color, trying to fit in, having to wear dresses and knee high socks to school, ugly shoes, skinned knees and trying to keep up with the older kids.
I wore the beads and peace signs - but that was in the 70's.

4 comments:
oh boy, Kiddo. Your family had a struggle. Mine did too but yours had more kids at home to support. I remember that outdoor plumbing. Around my house, life was a challenge back then. It's not too rosy for some now. Good post.Luck to you.
If that is what it took to give me the family I have now, I wouldn't change a thing, Bill.
I know. I'm not knocking anything. Just thinking the bigger family took greater effort. We lived in a three room tar paper shack but they were better than the tin huts across the road. Just thinking how some people grumble today. They don't realoy know hard times.
Bill, I was not upset at your comment. Not by a long shot.
I am very happy in life and actually had a wonderful childhood (in my eyes).
It is our sense of humor that I value most.
But on second thought, I would change the horror that my Mom lived through and my older sister and brother. I would want to change that for them.
Post a Comment