Sunday, February 26, 2006

Spotlight



I'm playing again. Love it. Picture was from the fall. The leaves were yellow (in real life).

My sisters and I are planning a baby shower for my nephew and his girlfriend. I get to do the games, door prizes, punch and center pieces. Yay! I was determined not to do any of the nasty games that seem so-o-o popular these days. Where they put melted chocolate bars in a disposable diaper and you get to guess which candy bar it is. No thanks.

I'm going back to the old fashioned ones. Word scramble. My sisters also liked the one where you call out "If you have a name something strange here in your purse, pull it out and you get a point." Like Monty Hall used to do on the old T.V. game show Let's Make a Deal.

The word scramble is easy. But, what items should we call out for the "What's in your purse?" If I call out a cheeseburger (if she were living) - my Mom would win. She was always wrapping up her leftovers in a napkin or two and putting it in her purse. Sometimes she forgot about it. I got in the habit of reminding her when we got home from town to put her extra food in the refrigerator. Yuk, yuk, yuk. I loved that lady! We always said she could live a week from stuff in her purse. It was always as heavy as a cement block, too.

I could call out a hair roller. Not many women have one of those any more in their purse. Fingernail clippers. Scissors. Fingernail file. Fingernail polish. Toothbrush. Lotion. Bobby pin. A picture of a baby (two years or younger). Chewing gum. Dental floss. Condom (no, kidding!) - but it would be funny! A grocery list. Can opener. Neosporin. Certs. Their shower invitation. Pacifier. Screwdriver. Flashlight. Tweezers. Eyelash curler. Rubber band. Paper clip. A deck of cards. A red checker. I'm getting silly.

I would have one point. One! For chewing gum. I better add some common things. Ink pen, checkbook, mirror, keys, etc...

Here are some samples from the word scramble:

1. ikcrgno rhica
2. abby tbolte
3. thineget ignr
4. sabisten
5. nappely
6. ighh richa
7. sgniw
8. arc ates
9. seartb upmp
10. ifacripe
11. byab trimoon
12. otpyt arich
13. ieobsto
14. teshctr raskm
15. cartadpiniei
16. drlnuutoas

4 comments:

Miki said...

You could also play the clothespin game. Everyone, as they arrive, gets a clothespin, if anyone says "baby" Labor delivery etc. anything to do with the event, they get their clothespin taken away, by the person who catches them. At the end of the game someone who has the most clothespins gets a prize! I wen t to a couple of babyshowers recently and they were for younger girls and we played clothes pin. They do it at wedding showers too, but you get the difference in theme! Anyway, have fun enjoy the shower, hope the baby gets what he/she needs!

Cheyenne said...

That photo reminds me of Thomas Kinkaide's work. Very pretty.

Tabor said...

The photo is really artistic. I was thinking it wouldmake a good book cover for a romance novel. Isn't it fun to play around digitally? I need to work at posting some of the stuff I have, which I just play with and then forget! If you have time, the video taping of the financee as he answers questions about their relationship (i.e. "What is the thing so-and-so would like to do on a Saturday morning?") and then the showing of this tape and pausing as the bride says what she things he will answer (rewarded by chocolate when she answers correctly, of course) is a fun event.

Peruby said...

Miki - I remember playing the clothespin game at another shower. It "was" fun! I'll make sure to include that one. I certainly wasn't the one with any clothespins at the end of the game!

Cheyenne - I love Thomas Kinkaide! Thank-you!

Tabor - This one sounds like it would be hilarious. Work did something similar, they asked questions about what you keep in a junk drawer and during the video they asked different quetions but used the junk drawer answers! It was great fun! I'll look into this game.