Monday, October 10, 2005

Upside down and out of sorts

brew


THIS.IS.HOW.I.FEEL! Totally upside down and out of sorts. I am not myself. I didn't go to work today and I don't really know why. I went back to bed and slept most of the day away. I hate to sleep in the day. Mentally, I feel l.o.w. Below low. Smothered, sinking. I dreamt that I was writing down instructions, but I was writing through vegetable soup. That is what I had for lunch. Homemade vegetable soup. Not mine, but very good.

After forty, I realized that I would need reading glasses. As most of my siblings have come to discover. I am the youngest of eight and as I watch them age, I can figure I will have to follow suit on whatever they are battling.

Well, sometimes I get lazy and I don't get my reading glasses and I read the newspaper without them. Yesterday was such a day. There is a feature in our paper every month or so, I can't recall how often, called "The Amish Cook." One thing you can be certain with the Amish is they are always working, cooking and having children. This lady writes (kind of like our blogs) and tells of her life as an Amish woman. She always includes a recipe at the end of her column.

Today she was taking care of her youngest baby, about three weeks old. I picture her, the baby nursing, and she is cooking her other children their breakfast. Afterwards, she sits down to write her little piece for the paper.

She tells of helping her family out at a nearby farm. 'We must go and help sister Ella and her family butcher the children....." Err.... what was that? Back it up! Re-read that last line, there Peruby! 'We must go and help sister Ella and her family butcher the chickens...' Oh, good God! Go get your glasses! Reading on, '...still chopping up children....' REDO! REREAD! '...still chopping up chickens.....' Go already!

I have come to the conclusion that Amish life must really stink. (No pun intended!) They work entirely too hard for my comfort. And, I really must have running water.

1 comment:

Miki said...

Hi, I symmpathize with you feeling like you are writing through vegetable soup. I feel as if I am wading in it, although, here on the East Coast, it might be Manhattan Clam Chowder. Not the work thing though, just wading through in general. As for wearing reading glasses, hey, I started wearing them before 40, and I know what I am in for, being the sixth of six children, all of them much older than me, much! So my life has been watching them grow older, some wiser, some into the pits of insanity!
check out my blog, you will see, why I too am wallowing in soup.
www.thoughtsofaramblingmiki.blogspot.com
Keep your chin up, I love reading your entries!