Thursday, October 06, 2005

My Favorite Alien

blue alien


This was one of my favorite costumes I saw at the Fall Festival. Probably because it was blue.

We had a horrible homicide in our small little town this past month and it hit just a little too close to home for me. My daughter goes to the Teen Place and meets up with school friends. It is for teen-agers and as I have mentioned before that covers thirteen to nineteen year-olds.

One boy, my daughter knew only vaguely, was murdered in September. By four people. I use the term "people" loosely. It was a strange matter of events and the rumor mills are running at full blast. The four consisted of two eighteen-year-olds, one nineteen-year-old and one forty-something woman.

B. was murdered Sept. xx. His bound body was thrown in the river and wasn't recovered until Sept. xx. Four suspects have been arrested and are being held.

I think at this time, they have all confessed to their part in the crime (or at least the teen-agers have).

The affair itself is exacerbated by the macabre connotation of Halloween. Supposedly the teen-agers were working at a gruesome upcoming Halloween terror event in a nearby town. The kind that some teen-agers go to around this time of year to scare the bejesus out of themselves. With chainsaws, bloody bodies and frightening scenes.

You can't help but wonder if a "de-sensitizing" of the mind happens when one is repeatedly exposed to such a horrendous display in such a setting. It is my understanding that the victim died of multiple stab wounds with a crushing blow to the skull.

I also, have wondered if watching horror movies repeatedly can desensitize one to the violence. Not to mention violent video games. My daughter and I have battled a few times over such a game, along with her watching WWF.

I am one who cannot watch movies such as Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Dead, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Chucky. I am completely "horrified" by the depiction. I only know of these movies by listening to others speak of them and their plots (or lack, thereof). I guess I don't need that shock value in my life.

I prefer other forms of movie entertainment. Comedy being my genre of choice. Speaking of, I am a little hesitant to see the upcoming remake of The Pink Panther. I am a big fan of the original(s).

1 comment:

Tabor said...

I like scary movies and stories of the mystery variety. Once they start going into bloody scence, torture or anything sadistic I have no interest at all. There have been studies of children becoming my violent by watching violence, so I would hazard a guess that this halloween type of stuff would also desensitize them or may worse, hype them up!