Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Keeping my cool

Isn't this photo just lovely? I lifted it, sorry. I was looking for calm, peace, serenity and came across this and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Yesterday got ugly at work. The new installation fell flat on it's face and the two schools that have been crying so much for me to test drive a new device screamed bloody murder. Of course I had added them on to the new unit first because they were my biggest complainers about the old device and when the new device went belly up (because we are human and learning) they were outraged.

In hindsight it is kind of amusing, or pathetic. Whichever way you want to look at it, I kind of sway back and forth on it. Here we are trying to satisfy them and when we make that attempt, they criticize yet again. And, I am telling you what. I struggled to get it working right for them yesterday. I seriously struggled hard to fix things.

It was all so new - three of us were scrambling trying to get them switched around. I called the tech in California so many times. He was patient but I usually pride myself on figuring things out before I have to call for help. I learn more that way. In this case, it was panic mode and there is no time for Peruby to learn the product, get the engineer to find out what is configured incorrectly - pronto!

We found the problem,  but not until 3:30 in the afternoon (when schools are closing for the day). So kids had problems getting to YouTube for a day. They did get there, just sometimes they didn't. We did come to find out that some of the reasons were the fact that they were searching for unsavory subjects in YouTube, but the tech couldn't see that until we shipped him the report that this new product provides for us. YAY! Take that!

Ah, well. The day is over with  now. My manager stood by me completely. He handled everything. I didn't have to answer the scathing e-mail that was sent out to all my techs in the school from this angry tech. Not only did he say he needed to create a help desk ticket to complain about what we did (or did not do) when we put the new device in line, he felt the need to share his pain and complaint with a large group of tech guys in the other school districts. He spit out a whining complaint message to the masses about how inept we were at this switch over.

Again, in hindsight it makes him look like  a big, whiny baby. And other techs are calling him that. They just shake their heads and say "Oh, grow up already!"

Seriously, we are all doing the best that we can. He said that he does not get results when he calls us or tries to get help from us, so he decides to chastise  us in an e-mail to all his co-workers in all area school districts.

I find inner peace within myself for knowing I did my best. I wonder how he feels about himself? Or, do they have any conscience at all?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Complainers that are not helpers are not worth a thing. The object (like the ACA) is to get it fixed so that it works rather than bitch and moan. So sorry, but glad that you got it done in only one day!

messymimi said...

Haters are going to find someone or something to hate, and i don't think they have a conscience, or they've seared it into submission by justifying their own behavior.

If he's not part of the solution, he needs to at least quit being part of the problem.