Sunday, July 10, 2011

No sleeping in this morning

I was trying to sleep past six a.m. My boxer was whining. Something had awoken me. As I finally dragged myself out of bed I noticed the oven clock and coffee pot clock blinking. Oh, the electric had gone off and back on. I think they are the only two clocks I have that are affected by electricity. Sigh. No wonder.

I really could go back to sleep. Not in bed. That is too hard. I can only nap or doze in the chair in front of the television. Maybe I will watch some television. I watched "The Fighter" with M Walhberg and C Bale. C Bale is  a strange duck. I do admire the way he is not typecast into one acting role. He branches out. I have only seen about six of his movies. He kind of creeps me out. It made me nervous to watch him in this movie. For some reason his character made me very uncomfortable.Perhaps it was the tendency to a violent outburst - the unpredictability of his actions. Even though it makes me uncomfortable, I love this in a character. To me that is art. Mark was also good but so predictable. Or rather, his character was.

I am not a boxer/fighter fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do like a good human interest story.

I really like M Leo and how she portrayed her character. I had seen her before in Frozen River. She played the mother of the two boys in The Fighter and she portrayed somebody very believable, very real in my opinion. She reminds me of somebody that drank and smoked and cursed a lot in life. Somebody for who the term "rode hard and put away wet" could apply.

I cannot finish this post without a shout out to A Adams. I thought she did very well, also. I've seen six of her movies also and am pleasantly surprised with her ability to change into character, also. She does tend to look the same however, but at least she uses an accent, a personality change, etc.. in her roles. I consider it good acting when I am reading the movies they have made on imdb.com and come across a movie I had seen and am like "She was in THAT movie? As what character? No way!" Then when I re-watch the move, "Oh, I see her, now." Such was the case with Amy in "Catch Me if You Can".

Did I ever tell you that I went to a seminar in 1979 and the speaker was none other than F Abagnale, Jr.? A few years back my nephew was telling me the story of this movie he had watched and I got a strange feeling of deja-vu. As I listened, something inside me began to click. What? This sounds so familiar to me! Then it hit me. The speaker I had listened to in 1979 told his story and in 2002 they made a movie of his life. Very strange for me.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Insomnia. Hate it, but at least I can take a nap in the PM. I think C. Bale is a little too intense and that is why he is sort of creepy.

Peruby said...

Tabor - Yes, intense! That is what it is that creeps me out. It makes for good acting, but I have difficulty watching his films because of it. He needs to try comedy - maybe that would break it up a bit.