Monday, January 17, 2011

Another place..another time

December 1966. I was six years old. We would not get decent running water until 1968 if memory serves me correctly. We had a well and we had very limited water. That would explain the dirty clothes. I remember the Lazy Susan and that black and white ashtray. I remember the sofa would pull out into a sleeper. That was where I was sleeping when Armstrong landed on the moon in 1969 - on that sleeper sofa. I could have sworn the lamp shades were burnt orange, but either they replaced them later or my memory is skewed.

This was my life as the youngest of 8 children whose father was a non-functioning alcoholic. A functioning alcoholic is able to keep a job and live life somewhat socially acceptable. My Mom (if she was not also an alcoholic) was very co-dependent.

I had it much better than the rest. Like I always say, by the time I came along my oldest siblings were taking over the family expenses and seeing to their younger siblings needs. I was fortunate in the fact that because of my oldest brother and sister I was able to live in the same house and attend the same school from the time I was six years old until I was an adult. We came very close to being placed into foster homes quite often, so I am told.

Back then my mother was made to feel responsible for the reason my father drank. Welfare was merciless to her. She refused to go back and ask for help after one such ordeal. Everybody said that there was help and the government would help you. Unless you have dealt with a Nazi-style government worker from the 60's I suggest you keep your opinions to  yourself. They blamed her for having too many children and wanted to dole us out to foster homes. For fear that the family would be torn apart, she stopped seeking help from the government. What a relief we did not get torn apart. I knew some families that did.

I have the day off from work. It is my self-proclaimed "discrimination" day. Almost every being on this planet has been a victim of discrimination in some form or another. There are many forms of discrimination, I would find it impossible to list details here; and it is still alive and well today.  Oh, and then there is the "reverse" discrimination. Where a white man cannot get a job because the company is required to hire so many black men and women that he is pushed out of an opportunity to work.

9 comments:

Grumpy said...

Name me a company that has a quota that must be filled by black men or women.

Tabor said...

I have seen the age discrimination more now that I am older. You are correct in that anything that is different from 'us' gets scrutinized.

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Wow. I am reminded, again today, how lucky I was growing up, and I never even knew it until I was an adult. I have a picture that is eerily similar to yours - same sort of couch, curtains, kids posed on it, coffee table. It was also from the 60's - but unlike you, I had two VERY functional parents, and my older siblings were all allowed to just be kids, too.
And you're right about the discrimination, AND reverse discrimination as well. Sotries for another day, huh?!

Cheyenne said...

Discrimination? Against me? You bet. Many times.

Peruby said...

Ah, Grumpy. I was probably mis-informed. There probably aren't any.

Peruby said...

Tabor - yes. I am seeing the 'age' one too. I try to focus more on the intellectual part of the job now, instead of the physical aspect in an effort to keep my edge.

Peruby said...

Dog Hair - my family is very close and I wouldn't trade any part of "my" youth. I wish it were a little easier for my Mom and older siblings, though.

Peruby said...

Cheyenne - I remember when you blogged about your workplace. What a nightmare!

kden said...

I love old pictures and stories. We are about the same age and I also had an alcoholic father. Our struggles make us who we are today.