Chop green peppers and fry them in butter olive oil.
Add mushrooms and stir them in. I use canned.
Add diced ham.
Cold rice on the side. I use fully cooked long grain. You can use Minute Rice if you must. Always refrigerate rice after cooking.
Add garlic salt. Careful because too much will ruin the dish. You can always add more to your dish at the table.
Create a hole in the middle of the mixture for the rice.
Dump the rice in the middle of the mixture. Cold rice breaks apart easier. If you can't wait, you can fry rice while it is warm (just after you boil it) but it is sticky to work with and clumps easier (but I understand).
Stir it all together until well mixed and entire dish is heated all the way through.
My favorite beverages.
Can use cooked chicken breast instead of ham. Another great alternative is fried eggs. Makes a great side dish for seafood. That's how we fixed it at the restaurant I worked at in 1974. I do believe we used celery though instead of green pepper. Somewhere over the past 37 years I changed the recipe. Sometimes I use both. The celery and pepper gives it a great crunch. This dish goes great with deep fried shrimp/clams/fish.
My brother and his wife add soy sauce to it. That is a no-no in my book.








3 comments:
Oh that's funny. I just had fried rice tonight for dinner from a chinese food take-out and it wasn't very good. Yours looks much better!
You just managed to make me hungry for that dish. That's a good tip about the rice; one I hadn't really thought about. They can keep the soy sauce. Yuck.
Great with pork too. Chinese people don't use soy sauce. Besides, it's loaded with sodium.
Post a Comment