Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tightening the C-clamp

Like my drawing? For as long as I can remember when I had a pain somewhere, I would doodle the body part on a piece of paper. If my foot hurt, I drew a foot. If my back hurt, it was a crude picture of a back. Well, it has been a long week. I used to work at a hardware store in the late 70's and we sold a C clamp. That is what it feels like is attached to the back of my head right above the neck and it keeps getting tighter.

I'm pretty sure you know what a clothespin feels like. Haven't we all taken one and tried it on our nose or our finger to see if it really hurt? I am not kinky but it feels like somebody has placed clothespins over each eyebrow and on the bridge of my nose between my eyes.

Then, for fun they have taken those little relish or seafood forks and stabbed them into the sinus cavity directly under my eyes. And left them there.

The sick feeling? I can only describe it as the feeling you get when you ate too much candy/cake/sweets at Christmas/Easter/Halloween or a birthday party. That feeling you get in your stomach and throat that tells you to stay close to the bathroom or a door that leads outside because you are going to toss your cookies.

The sick feeling has no basis. I eat toast so there is nothing that should cause this feeling.

If you ever drank alcohol and had a hangover - it sort of feels like a hangover. But, I don't even have the fun of the night before. The pain in my eyes to bright lights, the sensitivity to loud noises, the sick reaction to strong smells - all of it mimics a hangover.

I am guessing that what I am feeling now are the "rebound" headaches because I am feeling the need to take the Imitrex every day now, and more Advil than usual. I do try to sit quietly and rest - but I am restless. So much needs to be done. The dogs won't walk themselves and the fresh air does some good. Shoveling didn't help, I admit that. Cleaning is really bad for a migraine. Just when I am feeling decent enough, I try to do something. Bending over, the rattling and banging of pots and pans, and the smells of cleaning products - all of this causes my head to pound again.

I would wait for a day that I don't have a migraine, but when that day comes I am usually feeling good enough that I want to go and visit people or shop or have company over. Sigh.

I am looking forward to what I usually call my ten day stretch. About once a month I get a seven or ten day stretch where I feel really good and can do things like normal people. The few days that I live without the C clamp on my head. Bring it!

Update: After looking back through my posts at the month of January, it would appear that migraines seem to be higher than usual during this month. No wonder I hate January!

10 comments:

Tabor said...

I cannot imagine every having a hangover that painful. Try to relax with some yoga...although I know that is probably not the best help. So sorry, girlie!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you have found some relief. You don't have a sinus infection, do you? I had migraines for thirty years, from age fourteen until I was forty-four, when they went away, never to re-appear. My sympathies, my lady.

Grayquill said...

I came here from Betty's blog after i read you want to be a car. I had a godd belly laugh. That was a good one -I wish I had thought of it:-) I am sorry you're not feeling well - January is almost over - hang in there

Cheyenne said...

I used to get headaches almost as bad as migraines. One day my husband dragged me to his chiropractor. After a couple adjustments for a few days my headaches went away and never came back. Until I almost did myself in with that Australian licorice, but that was my fault. I should have known better.
I hope you feel better soon.

KGMom said...

Oh dear--migraines are just awful. I am not a regular sufferer, but have had the occasional one.
Hope February brings you some relief.

Peruby said...

Tabor - I've had hangovers where I wished I would die.

Peruby said...

Bill - I have considered sinus a few times. It could be. Tried the Sudafed, but again - after four hours it all came back. I can't stand to keep taking all this medication. It makes me sick to my stomach. UGH!

Peruby said...

Grayquill - thanks for stopping by. I have been a Gemini all my life. I always felt that explained my split personality. LOL! But a Taurus, now? A car? A FORD?! No thanks. If I am going to be a car, I either want to be a luxury Sedan or a sportster. NOT a family sedan. Sigh.

Peruby said...

Cheyenne - I have often thought about a chiropractor. I might just try it.

Peruby said...

KGMom - thank-you. I had a really good day on Monday. It is still too early today to tell if it is all over with, yet. I had to start my morning with Advil already. UGH!